Quantcast

how much brown sugar etc.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Arbe0

quentinstbrewery.wixsite.com/mysite
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do a recipe that has brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks in it. How much Brown Sugar and how many cinnamon sticks would you use in a 5 gallon batch? Also when would you put them in the process (mash, boil?)?

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly, what are you making? Beer, cider, mead?

Secondly, why. Not asking to be a butt-head, literally asking what you are looking to get from each from the recipe?

Cinnamon: a little goes a long way. Some add to the boil, some in primary, others in secondary. Some use whole scrolls, others make a tincture and add it to primary, secondary or at packaging.

Brown sugar: I suggest against it. I hate giving anecdotal advice, but I have heard that brown sugar can add off flavors. The sugar ferments dry leaving the unfermentables. I've heard raw turbinado, palm or coconut leave more residual flavors.

OP
Arbe0

Arbe0

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
my starting point for this recipe: Oatmeal cookie brown,
8 lb. Maris Otter,...1.5 lb. Flaked Oats.....8 oz. Cara-pils…..8 oz. Caramel/crystal 60L....4 oz. Chocolate malt (350L steep)..3 oz. Carafa III (525 L steep) …1.2 cinnamon stick (boil)...1.2 vanilla bean (boil)….4.2 oz. Brown sugar (boil...may change this after advice from S-Met)…..
.5 oz Warrior (60)….5 oz. Fuggle (15)….5 oz. Hallertau (10)

kevin58

Reaction score
You might try subbing the brown sugar with #3 invert sugar. It has a mild, oatmeal cookie/raisin like sweetness to it and won't make your beer finish dry.

OP
Arbe0

Arbe0

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
if I put the sugar should I just put it into the last of the boil or make a tea of it?

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fyi I used 1# brown sugar late in the boil for a pumpkin ale and that thing was dryer then an Afghans thong.

Kickass

Reaction score
I use 8oz of brown sugar in my pumpkin beer. I don’t notice off flavors but there is a lot going on.

I would boil the vanilla, I think you’re going to kill most, if not all, of the flavor. Add at packaging, that’s my recommendation.