How much beer do you drink daily?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My consumption really depends on how late I get home. When I don't find the couch until 9:30 or so I'll have 1 or 2 bottles. If I get that lucky night that I get to come straight home from work I'll have 3 or 4.

No noticed wieght gain yet, but this is the time of year my wieght bottoms out. A few more weeks when my schedule frees up and I have more free time consumption will go up and activity goes down. My waist line will probably expand a bit for a few months until the schedule goes nuts again.

Just another of life's cycles.

I usually average 2-4 pints a night. :eek: There are nights where I'll have only a half and some nights I'll have more, especially on a weekend and especially if there is grilling or smoking to be done.

I have a tap set up and I like my beer.

I usually have a 12oz bottle a night, sometimes none at all depending on what I am doing. The weekends don't change much unless I go out to a party or have people over, then I might have 2 or 3. I am not a heavy drinker, I just love good beer and like to share it with others.

As to weight gain, I've actually lost 15 pounds this summer, and I am trying to keep it off, but with winter coming, that may change too...

Anywhere from 1-5 pints a day during week and 4-10 pints on weekends. If drinking Lt beer for foorball game or out on the water, that could double the weekend pints since Amstel Lt is low on the alcohol.

Not enough...

Average about 3 on Friday and Saturday. After I have given away a bunch of homebrew I don't seem to be able to keep up with brewing. I would like to drink on the weekdays more often, but time and money prevent me from brewing more frequently.

1 to 3 pints a day. I've noticed that my consumption has gone up slightly since I've gotten a kegging system. It used to be 1 to 2 a day.

1 a night during the week, and 2 or 3 on weekends. I expect these number to go way up once my first batch is carbed up. :eek:

I'm usually drinking one 22oz per night, a couple on weekend days. I started brewing about the same time I quit smoking, so I initially gained about 15kg! I don't really gain weight anymore, but I find it difficult to lose weight while maintaining my homebrew habit. lol

6 a night. Twice that on weekends. But then there are multipliers.

Long day at work X 1.5. The "game is on" X 1.5. Lazy sleepy Sunday with beer for breakfast AND the game is on X 2.

Now that I've been brewing long enough to set up a significant pipeline, I find that I drink 1 beer/night pretty much every night. Sometimes that's 1x12oz, sometimes that's 1x22oz bottle. On either Fri or Sat night, I sometimes have 3.

However, my first keg (an IPA--Green Flash clone) is conditioning now. I'm a little afraid of what that may do to my drinking. Cold, delicious, hoppy beer is only a tap pull away? Why not have a touch more? :drunk:

Typically on weekedays I will enjoy 1 with dinner or after dinner while reading HBT. On weekends I may have a few extras depending on what I am doing. Texas has a zero tolerance rule when carrying a gun so I tend to wait until I am in for the night before pouring a cold one.

2-4 weeknights (depending on strength of beer and degree of difficulty for that day) and slightly more weekends. If game is on or friends are over, etc...let's just say I don't count

I am a lame lightweight. It's rare that I drink more than one beer - on a weekend night. Almost never during the week (last night was an exception). I have been known to go a couple of weeks without a single beer.

Of course, my first batch of homebrew is getting close to carbed in the bottles, so that may change.

Generally 1-2 a day most of the time, but on weekends during camping season on the river that number climbs to more than triple and my buddy Jager shows up to the party.

homebrewdad said:
I am a lame lightweight. It's rare that I drink more than one beer - on a weekend night. Almost never during the week (last night was an exception). I have been known to go a couple of weeks without a single beer.

Of course, my first batch of homebrew is getting close to carbed in the bottles, so that may change.

Don't feel bad about it, I work in a brewery and only drink about two nights a week and then that'll usually only be a single 12oz bottle. Might have a few more on the weekend.

Saying that.... I do obviously have to taste check the beer at work before packaging etc, check it's not infected or sulfury etc.

Don't feel bad about it, I work in a brewery and only drink about two nights a week and then that'll usually only be a single 12oz bottle. Might have a few more on the weekend.

Saying that.... I do obviously have to taste check the beer at work before packaging etc, check it's not infected or sulfury etc.

I could never have that job. While I don't go overboard, a taste of beer always makes me want more!

How many of you heavy drinkers have had blood-work done recently? Any issues with cholesterol / triglycerides?

None during the week except for rare occasions. If I'm at my brother-in-law's on the weekend it could be 1-8 pints/day I'm there.

How many of you heavy drinkers have had blood-work done recently? Any issues with cholesterol / triglycerides?

I don't consider myself too heavy of a drinker (2-3 a day with days off during the week), and I had elevated enzymes about a year ago. I have to re-test soon when I get around to it. Everything else was perfect, but I also work out regularly and intensely and eat a nearly perfect diet.

I was averaging 4 beers every night for a while there, granted lower ABV cheap-beer...blood work came back A-OK according to doc. Of course, I'm thin and never had any issues with me organs...YMMV

Really anything over 3 per day or 6 at a time is considered heavy drinking. I've read that drinking 6 beers at a time can seriously spike your blood sugar levels, but when considered with my regular diet, I've never worried about 1 time, occasional spikes. Beer is basically the only sugar in my diet.

a few months ago I would take out a 30 pack alone every few days.

Now i've definitely cut back and I only drink a few a week, that until I get my homebrew setup!

I've slowed way down now that I started home-brewing...of course, that's also due to a faulty pipeline at the moment. Still, I am becoming a bit of a beer snob as I taste these wonderful homebrews. Shock Top tastes like locker-room water to me...wife brought some home last night and I didn't finish half of it.

Really anything over 3 per day or 6 at a time is considered heavy drinking. I've read that drinking 6 beers at a time can seriously spike your blood sugar levels, but when considered with my regular diet, I've never worried about 1 time, occasional spikes. Beer is basically the only sugar in my diet.

Yes, this is what I've heard as well. However, according to US medical sources, this means 3 UNITS of alcohol a day for a male. One unit is equal to half a pint of 5% ABV beer. You do the math...

A lot of beers we drink as brewers are well above this. Sometimes, less than 2 twelve ounce beers can easily put us over that limit. Not trying to be a party pooper: I participate too. Just sayin.

What would you consider heavy drinking? I consider myself a moderate, but people who drink one every few days might feel otherwise.

When you don't lie on the medical history sheet and the doctor gives you a really funny look when she reads your answer for drinks / week :p

It's hard to calculate since most drinking standard use grams of alcohol as the unit of choice. A 12oz beer is a drink but I generally brew beers in the 7%-10% range so one one of my 12oz beers should convert to 'two drinks'. I also pour from 750ml bottles so each one of those contains about 24 oz, and I drink one a day on average so just from my homebrew it comes out to ~28 drinks per week.

Based on this chart - that is moderate drinking in many countries.

But the reason I asked about the blood work is all of mine was normal except my triglycerides were way out of range. Doc said it could be from drinking.

So if you drink one 750ml homebrew per day, using 15.2ml alcohol as a 'drink':
@ 5% ABV = 262ml alcohol per week (~17 drinks)
@ 7.5% ABV = 393ml alcohol per week (~26 drinks)
@ 10% ABV = 525ml alcohol per week (~35 drinks)

I'm always honest with the doctor because they are supposed to be confidential and they're there to keep you healthy...they can't do their job if you don't give them all of the facts.

I used to drink about 2 a day on weekdays, 3 on weekends.

Since the new year I've cut back to 3 a week. It sucks sometimes but I've dropped 10 pounds and feel much better.

2 to 4, usually. I rarely drink more than that - usually get sleepy first, if nothing else.

Latest posts

Back