How many years till the hops start yielding decent ammount of cones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
I have a centennial plant that is 2 years old..got nothing maybe a 1/2 oz this year..will it start producing more every year or could it be crappy plant with no vigor?

i could take up to 3 or 4 years is your plant getting 14 plus hours of sun and are you giving it proper nutrients

At this point, it should be producing more.

Much of their ability to produce is tied up in how they are cared for.

Mine have now taken over my entire back patio. They receive plenty of irrigation, sun, and organic fertilizers.

it is in a sandy soil..idk if thats good or bad..i fertilize with house and garden and superthrive supplement..How many year until you can harvest rhizomes?

This was my third year growing. My Centennials didn't do crap this year, but my cascades went nuts - I had three harvests off each of the cascades. Got about a 1/3 of the Centennial I had in 2013. We had a relatively cool summer here in Ohio.

it is in a sandy soil..idk if thats good or bad..i fertilize with house and garden and superthrive supplement..How many year until you can harvest rhizomes?

It will depend on a number of factors. You said you have sandy soil, which means a number of things. Nutrients will leach readily from your soil, meaning you will have to fertilize more often. You said you're fertilizing with house and garden fertilizers, these are optimal for hops, at least not likely at the amounts you're fertilizing them. Your soil will drain faster, meaning you will have to irrigate more often. While hops enjoy sandy soils, they also enjoy organic matter which can aid in these respects and increase the health of the plant (when maintained properly).

I believe it was also pointed out that the general environment, sun vs. shade, irrigation schedule, etc. Each of these will play a role into not only the yield, but the health of the plant overall. A malnourished and unhealthy plant is not likely to produce large amounts, whereas a plant that is well-nourished and maintained in a healthy manner will provide one with everything.

Back