How many kegs in a fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
I want to get a larger fridge for my kegs. The one i have now only holds 2 and the co2 tank. How many corny kegs will fit in your fridge? What is the best style?

I would like a chest freezer but won't I need a temperature controller?

I use a chest freezer, and yes you need a temp controller.

I think I've seen 4 kegs crammed (creatively) into a top-mount fridge, with a 5lb co2 bottle. Expect less from a side by side.

I've a normal fridge (freezer on top) and can fit six without my 10# tank, five with it.

Did you take the shelves out and build a bottom so that you don't have to deal with the compressor hump?

Touche... I will have to make the bottom flat and cut the shelves out of the door. I just started kegging my beer only a few weeks ago. Best thing since sliced bread.

Touche... I will have to make the bottom flat and cut the shelves out of the door. I just started kegging my beer only a few weeks ago. Best thing since sliced bread.

Damn right about the sliced bread. I also had to put a hinged lock on it to keep the door closed as the shelves keep the door rigid.

Wouldn't a chest freezer and a temp controller be cheaper than a fridge? I can fit 5 cornies in my freezer (or 4 and a 10 lb co2) and the freezer was $100, almost brand new on craigslist, and the temp controller was $50...

So $150 gets you 5 kegs versus a fridge (unless of course you buy that used too).

pointerDixie214 said:
Wouldn't a chest freezer and a temp controller be cheaper than a fridge? I can fit 5 cornies in my freezer (or 4 and a 10 lb co2) and the freezer was $100, almost brand new on craigslist, and the temp controller was $50...

So $150 gets you 5 kegs versus a fridge (unless of course you buy that used too).

A fridge on craigslist can cost $25-50. Its fun to search craigslist for misspellings like frige, or fridgerator. Those are the ones that cost $25-50.

If I was bigger and stronger, I'd definitely get the freezer! But I paid $50 for the used fridge and I don't need a temperature controller, so the price was right.

I'm pretty small (5'5" and 135 pounds) and I can get kegs in and out of the fridge easily, as they slide right in and I only have to lift them about a foot. For a keezer, I'd have to lift them up over my waist and then bend over the side to get them out. Not a big deal for kegs (which have handles) but for heavy carboys, that would kill me!

Here's a picture of six kegs in my fridge.

ForumRunner_20110714_215311.png

ForumRunner_20110714_215333.png

The only reason I use the fridge is because it was in the basement when we bought the place.

i have a 15 c.f. fridge for my kegerator (i store specialty grains and hops up top in the freezer. i have 3 kegs and a 10lb tank

If I was bigger and stronger, I'd definitely get the freezer! But I paid $50 for the used fridge and I don't need a temperature controller, so the price was right.

I'm pretty small (5'5" and 135 pounds) and I can get kegs in and out of the fridge easily, as they slide right in and I only have to lift them about a foot. For a keezer, I'd have to lift them up over my waist and then bend over the side to get them out. Not a big deal for kegs (which have handles) but for heavy carboys, that would kill me!

Good point... I am not a big guy but pretty fit (5'10" and 170 lbs), but with the collar I built for my keezer it does make the carboys difficult to get in and out.

$25-50 for a fridge sounds like a winner. I might have to do that for a fermentation chamber (with another thermostat...) now that my keezer is actually a keezer and not a chamber...

Latest posts

Back