How many gallons of mead, 2020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your trying to get a guesstimate of what we intend to produce over the course of 2020....200 gallons. Right smack up to my legal limit. If I burn through it too fast it's a seriously cheap license here in MO to add more gallons but I think my wife will kill me if I do. We don't have much free space to be storing that much mead in various states of finish. :)

1/8 6.5 gal Viking Blood
1/8 1.5 gal spiced pear

I have a very long laundry list of various flavors I want to try recreating

Last edited:
@Solstice Meadery when you have something in the fermenter please comeback and add the amount to the 1.5 gallons (or whatever the total is at the time) and post the total. this is a tally of mead that is being made. (At least that is how it’s done in the beer thread)

Last edited:
Currently working on :
1 gallon of sweet traditional mead
1 gallon hydromel raspberry mead
1 gallon of raspberry cherry mead
7 gallons of blueberry mead
5 gallons of bochet cyser
Bringing total to 15 gallons so far this year hoping for close to 50 gallons by the end of the year

IMG_1154.JPG

6 gallons Barrel Aged Tupelo
1.25 gallons barrel aged Cyser
6 gallons Barrel aged Meadowfoam Tweek

32.75 + 1.25 gallons experimental mango+passion fruit mead w/ acacia honey and hornindal kveik = 34

Got 5 gallons working as of today alongside the first cider of 2020 (concentrate juice), sulfites yesterday 1118 pitched this morning before work. A couple spots of potential contamination (I dropped the dang bucket of honey into the brew bucket :\ oops) but otherwise looking forward to a batch of nice dry mead. Next batch i may try for using s-04 for an off-dry and maybe doing some Brett on that but idk. Any recomendations on aeration/degassing schedule?

I do small batches. Right now I have 1 gallon of Cherry Mel + 1 gallon Raspberry Mel in secondary, plus 1.5 gallon Traditional in the primary.

Edit: Sorry 44+5(above)+3.5=52.5

Yup, a lot of us make that mistake the first time we hit one of these posts.
[Stern voice] don't let it happen again! [\Stern voice]
And it case no one else has said it. Welcome, stick around, learn, and have fun.

I'll be doing 2 gallons next weekend first try wish me luck me and babe are doing a mead off any tips ? I was thinking blue berry and lavender ? any thoughts

68 + Comrade Stone’s 2 + 2 gallons of an apple pie mead I’m getting ready to start (once my campden gets in) = 72 gallons

I’m hoping to brew more this year and test out my 6 gallon brewing bucket, but for now I’m gonna stick with 2 since I know that’ll happen.

5.5 gallons bubbling away....
IMG_0290[1].JPG
72 + 5.5 =77.5 gallons
want to do a melomel next

5 gallon Christmas berry honey trad
2 gallon strawberry melomel
9 gallon black currant/blueberry melomel

In January, I pulled 8 gallons of cranberry cyser out of my primary fermenter.
I have about 7 gallons of traditional in my second fermenter almost done.
I have ingredients for a 5 gallon batch of straight cyser that I plan on brewing either this weekend or next.

The problem I am running into is all my containers are full! I need to drink more, because I have remnants of last years cranberry cyser in a keg, and 5 gallons of strawberry melomel that I need to either figure out how to fix or dump (it went acid on me and tastes like green strawberries - bleh).

I have plans to brew a 5-8 gallon batch every 6 weeks or so, so by the end of the year I'll hopefully have brewed about 50 gallons.

+5 gallons bochet
+1 gallon traditional
+6 gallons blackberry melomel
=124.5 gallons.

None this year, as I alternate seasonally between wines and meads. Last year I made 4 gallons:
- 2 gallons fru-fru organic honey, organically spiced mead
- 2 gallons el cheapo honey, McCormic spiced mead

Still aging. It's an experiment to see if all the fancy, more expensive ingredients are worth it or not.

Back