How many gallons of cider in 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
461 + 10 = 471! 5 gallons with US-05 and 5 with Wyeast cider/sweet mead. All 10 are fresh pressed from a friends trees.

First batch started! Used UpstateMike's recipe with Notty. I'm currently overseas, and so my wife actually put it together, via Skype! Couldn't wait to get home to get the cider going.
485+5 =490

+3 gallons with "That Irish Ale yeast" (wlp004)
+1 gallon with Scottish Ale yeast (wlp028)
+1 gallon with "recovered Scottish Cider yeast (wlp773) from last spring."
_______
=502!

Same rules as previous years. January 1 to December 31, 2017. Ciders and cider variants welcome.

Can we beat last year's 1222.5 gallons?

/QUOTE]

So is it when we start, when we finish or the year the apples were harvested?

I have 5 gal. I started in March. Heirloom blend fermented with Belle Saison yeast that cleared nicely over the summer. I just kegged to force carb.

502 + 5 = 507

I just started batch# 2 using 1 gal of store bought juice (compared to the 5gal of home pressed started last week).

507 + 1 =508

2 gallons store bought juice finifhed (and consumed with friends over labor day weekend)
5 gallons started last week
508 +7 =515

5 gallons started last week. Will be able to keg this weekend. 515+5=520

31 litres pressed yesterday, kept 3 back for drinking as straight juice:

31 litres = 8.2 US Gallons

543.5 + 8.2 = 551.7

Bottled one (already counted) and one more in primary.
551.7 + 1 = 552.7

581 + 1 (finally and an experiment with a wild yeast that I pulled of the orchard's apples last year) = 582

643 + 65 = 708 gallons bottled in 2017.

The 2016 crop was stunted due to drought conditions but the OG was around an amazing 1.065 for most of it. Most of this cider is from neighborhood mongrel apples plus some seedling apples. Five gallons were pure Baldwin juice from one of my trees. Thirty gallons were spontaneously fermented (no added yeast). The rest were fermented with 71b to see if the total acid could be reduced (limited success).

I induced a secondary fermentation of malolactic bacteria to 20 gallons to see if I could get the acid to drop further (success without undesirable flavors). All were macerated for 24-36 hours with 3 grams apple pectinase per 5 gallons of pulp before pressing. In most of the batches, a pectin gel formed at the bottom of the carboys when the alcohol content went above 6% after 180 days of fermentation. I was able to rack most off without much of the gel and got the residual gel to settle by adding bentonite and refrigerating it overnight before racking to my bottling bucket.

All bottles where conditioned upside down to collect the lees in the neck. When the internal pressure hit 60 psi this plug of crud was expelled by freezing the necks, popping the caps to blow out the frozen plug, topping up and recapping

This year, I am using pectinase maceration again due to the ease of pressing and the amazing yields. This time however, I am doing a pectin test after pressing (2 ml must + 6 ml methanol) to see if there is residual pectin in the must. If there is, I add more pectinase to the fresh pressed juice until the residual pectin is minimized. All 2017 apples are being fermented without the addition of commercial yeast. My projected production for this years crop is approximately 70 gallons. I have a lot of my 2016 to drink before I can bottle the 2017 since I am nearly tapped out on bottles.

713 + 30 = 743

six 5-gallon batches since my last post. my goal is to hit 100 total gallons made this year.

751.5 + 20 Gallons = 771.5

Thank you Ed Wort! 5 gallons with Saison yeast and 15 gallons with Cider yeast.

Back