How many Gallons in a...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
Hey all! Was wondering how many gallons of wort we can boil in a 13.2 gallon sanke without having to worry about boilover. Thanks!

You could do 10 gallon boils without a problem. Anything over that and you'd be pushing it. If you watched it like a hawk, you could probably get away with 12 gallons.

I use to boil 6.7 gallons in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot. That would be equivalent to 11.8 gallons in a 13.2 gallon pot. I had to watch it like crazy the first 5 minutes of the boild and throttle the burner but after that it was fine. You could probably do a bit more volume with fermcap.

Ah thank you! I appreciate it, we are getting into AG and need a brew kettle for our (soon to be ours) banjo.

I have a 15.5 gallon keg that I boil up to 14 gallons in which is quite full, I'd imagine about about as full as if you had 12 in yours.

Get a spray bottle and set it to mist. When you get it to start boiling drop you heat down on your burner, and spray the foam on one side of the keg. Then you can slowly raise your temp till you get back to a good rolling boil. Just remember to spray the same one side when the boil starts to foam up. I know it sounds weird, but what you are doing in starting a convection current, the cold spray causes the wort to fall to the bottom on the side you are spraying and is setting up a current that pulls the foam back in to the kettle stopping boil overs. I takes a little practice, but I have found it to work really well. And when you get a good current going you can really see it working.

I've gone as high as 14 gallons in my 15 gallon pot with a drop or two of fermcap. Light the burner and let 'er rip, never had a problem. That stuff is also awesome in the fermenter for controlling blowoff, but I'm still on the fence about head retention when used in that fashion.

Joe

It depends. I've made a 10 gallon batch (about 12 gallons) without a boilover, and then I've made a 5 gallon batch (6.5 gallons) and it boiled over when I wasn't watching! I don't know if you're ever "safe" from boilovers until after the hot break, so you still have to watch it!

I do 13.5 gal in a 15 gal kettle, not a keggle. I have about 2" of head space when boil begins and a strong boil surge can cause it slop a bit. Never had a raging boil over yet but I "feather the propane throttle" until the hot break has completed then I can relax.

Back