How many empty 5lb kegs can a 5lb CO2 tank fill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFrazeur

Reaction score
How many empty 5lb kegs can a 5lb CO2 tank fill?

How many cubic feet of gas will fit into 5lb kegs?

I want to use kegs as pressure vessels to pressurize balls. I've tried to find the information myself but I cannot find it. Otherwise I would not bother brewers.

I want to use kegs as pressure vessels to pressurize balls. I've tried to find the information myself but I cannot find it. Otherwise I would not bother brewers.

Tennis balls? I do this in a Corny keg for my ball machine but I don't use C02, I just pump air into them with a tire inflator.

Tennis balls? I do this in a Corny keg for my ball machine but I don't use C02, I just pump air into them with a tire inflator.

That is correct. I am a Tennis instructor. I have 4 kegs that I use. CO2 is faster as the molecule is smaller. But the down side is that it also defuses out faster. I could not get plain air to inflate / infuse in any reasonable time.

That is correct. I am a Tennis instructor. I have 4 kegs that I use. CO2 is faster as the molecule is smaller. But the down side is that it also defuses out faster. I could not get plain air to inflate / infuse in any reasonable time.

I would have guessed just the opposite: that the molecules that primarily make up air, N2 and 02, are both smaller than a CO2 molecule. I agree that if I use only 14 psi of air the balls take a very long time to become playable again. I have found that about 35 psi for about a week will return them to playability. Since I don't use my machine that often waiting a week isn't a problem.

How long do you leave yours under pressure at 50 psi before they are playable?

The biggest pita with my setup is getting the balls into and out of my Corny keg.

I would have guessed just the opposite: that the molecules that primarily make up air, N2 and 02, are both smaller than a CO2 molecule. I agree that if I use only 14 psi of air the balls take a very long time to become playable again. I have found that about 35 psi for about a week will return them to playability. Since I don't use my machine that often waiting a week isn't a problem.

How long do you leave yours under pressure at 50 psi before they are playable?

The biggest pita with my setup is getting the balls into and out of my Corny keg.

50 PSI for approximately 3 days

50 PSI for approximately 3 days

You might consider looking on craigslist for a used 20# or larger CO2 tank because in the long run the gas will be a lot cheaper to buy and you won't have to exchange as frequently.

I bought a full used 20 lb tank for $55 on craigslist which cost just over half of what I paid for my older empty 5# tank 15 years ago. At the gas place I go to for refills or exchanges it cost $10 for a 5# tank and $17 for a 20# tank. You get 300% more gas for only 70% more money with a 20# tank.

Back