How many BIABers use FWH & Hop-back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a BIABer, I use

• FWH (First Wort Hopping)

• Hop Back

• Both FWH and Hop Back

• I don't do either

Results are only viewable after voting.
I fwh all my hop forward styles, I think it really reinforces the hop flavor.
i use my bittering charge (what would have otherwise been a 60 minute addition).

I also fwh as soon as I pull the bag when I'm brewing hop forward styles. I don't use a hop back on either system, but use whirlpool hops.

Do you use your finishing hops when you do this? How much?

1. Sometimes. It depends on the style of beer. This weekend I made a IIPA and used FWH, 45, 30, and flame out additions. I have another recipe where I only do FWH and, after the boil, a 15 minute whirlpool at 180°F.

2. Again, it depends on the style of beer.

Thanks guys. Getting my head around more hop forward beers and have been re-reading John Palmers book. I've done a few IPA's (which I've been very happy with) but always looking for ways to improve my method. I usually do a 60min and everything late to post boil (whirlpool) John says to FWH with the finishing hops but I don't have the book handy to explain why.

I tried FWH, but found the bittering just didn't have the sharpness I like, it was too rounded off. I went back to a standard 60 min addition.
Your tastes may vary.

I've never heard of first wort hopping until now. I just follow the recipes, none of which I've seen mention FWH.

I use FWH additions for anything in the 30-60 min range, adding the hops right after I pull the mash grains. I've only been boiling for 30 min. If I want a lot of hop flavor I tend to make later. Hop additions, even after the boil (whirlpool).

I've not experimented with hop-back, but still do traditional 2-week dry hoping during the fermentation stage.

I do FWH in middle of mash. I take the bag off the rim of my kettle temporarily and toss the hops right in the wort. I put the bag back around the rim for the remainder of the mash. That way when I pull my bag the hops stays behind. Sometimes I throw some hops in with the malt in the bag not sure how much it contributes but I like doing this with some of my hop forward beers.

Don't really see how I'm trolling. The method of mashing is unrelated to these things.

Theres still ways to FWH with BIAB hence my way sir. I don't think you were trolling I think you were just having an opposing opinion. Some people are more sensitive than others and see it as trolling. I say its all good drink a brew.

Theres still ways to FWH with BIAB hence my way sir. I don't think you were trolling I think you were just having an opposing opinion. Some people are more sensitive than others and see it as trolling. I say its all good drink a brew.

I think that's what he was saying, that you can first wort hop with any style of brewing, so what does BIAB have to do with it.

I BIAB, and have started always adding my 60 (or 90 depending on boil length) minute addition as a FWH addition right after I pull the bag out of my kettle.

I think that's what he was saying, that you can first wort hop with any style of brewing, so what does BIAB have to do with it.

I BIAB, and have started always adding my 60 (or 90 depending on boil length) minute addition as a FWH addition right after I pull the bag out of my kettle.

Yes this. I use FWH. I was just saying that these techniques are unrelated to biab and I don't understand the purpose of the question.

I don't understand why you would ask this. No one ads late hops when they first wort. Also what does FWH have to do with BIAB or Hop-backs tbh.

Yeah I guess this topic doesn't have to deal specifically with BIAB'ers as it is more a general brewing topic.
I suspect you were called a troll due to the tone of your reply. If you look into FWH'ing you'll find a lot of references identify the hops used are in fact the same as the late hop additions.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/what-is-first-wort-hopping/
"Make sure to use low alpha acid hops that are normally scheduled as the final aroma/flavor additions because isomerization begins at temperatures below boiling; more hops in the wort longer during the boil causes the total bitterness of the beer to increase, although the amount is subtle because the hops are low in alpha acid. "

From John Palmer - http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/hops/how-are-they-used
"First Wort Hopping
An old yet recently rediscovered process (at least among homebrewers), first wort hopping (FWH) consists of adding a large portion of the finishing hops to the boil kettle as the wort is received from the lauter tun. As the boil tun fills with wort (which may take a half hour or longer), the hops steep in the hot wort and release their volatile oils and resins. The aromatic oils are normally insoluble and tend to evaporate to a large degree during the boil. By letting the hops steep in the wort prior to the boil, the oils have more time to oxidize to more soluble compounds and a greater percentage are retained during the boil."

The question of do you use late hops when you FWH is vague I think we interpreted it differently.

I can't say that there is anything scientific in what I do. I tend to get impatient and add my bittering charge early.

Well............ you may be onto something too. In the back of my mind I tend to wonder/question about individual perception and the human psychology of wanting to belong. I suppose there may be a perceived difference but a 50/50 split doesn't convince me either. What it boils down to I think is the question who do you brew for and do they like it. ;)
I'd like to do a side by side one day and see if I can pick it out or not.

I admit I know little about FWH, but I read that you do it with the later addition hops, like 30-0 minutes, not the bittering hops as you appear to be doing.

Back