How long will flaked oats last ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
Ok, making a long story short I just got my shipment from Midwest and by mistake I ordered 10 lbs. of flaked oats instead of 1 lb. (I need to stop drinking when I'm placing orders). I was going to use the pound in a Wit that I'm making, but that leaves me with 9 more pounds and unless I want to have oatmeal every day for a while I better come up with a plan. I'm keeping it in an air-tight container, so I assume that helps, and I guess Oatmeal Stout just became a near-future brew but how long will it last and can I use it in other things (IPA, Barley Wine, etc)?

Toast a few pounds of those oats, and set them aside for your next Stout, Bitter, or Brown Ale.....Toasted oats add an awesome nutty flavor along with the characteristic silky texture. It is important to do this a few weeks in advance so the more volatile compounds and aromas can waft away, so just do it tomorrow and let 'em sit in a paper bag for a while.

I bought 9 pounds from Sam's club 9 months ago and in addition to having oatmeal every morning I brew oatmeal stouts and wits for SWMBO. I can tell you after 9 months I appreciate zero change from when I first bought them. I think as long as you keep them dry and away from too much air they would last for years.

Toast a few pounds of those oats, and set them aside for your next Stout, Bitter, or Brown Ale.....Toasted oats add an awesome nutty flavor along with the characteristic silky texture. It is important to do this a few weeks in advance so the more volatile compounds and aromas can waft away, so just do it tomorrow and let 'em sit in a paper bag for a while.

I like the toasted oats idea. I assume basically spread them out on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven until brown?

Chello may be right, but that seems high/long to me. I have done it a couple times, and the first time I went with something similar to his schedule and they were quite overdone and smelled like burnt cookies to me, but I only turned them once that time.....I'd say just keep a close eye on them and use your nose and eyes to tell you when they are done. and yeah, cookie sheet and turn them every so often.

Chello may be right, but that seems high/long to me. I have done it a couple times, and the first time I went with something similar to his schedule and they were quite overdone and smelled like burnt cookies to me, but I only turned them once that time.....I'd say just keep a close eye on them and use your nose and eyes to tell you when they are done. and yeah, cookie sheet and turn them every so often.

My oven despite being new and expensive cooks very slowly compared to my last oven. I think there is tremendous variation among old and new ovens and so there is tremendous variation in cooking times/temperature required to toast oats (and barley).

Store them in an airtight container
Should last for around 12 months in a constant temp area. (lower the Better). Possibly freeze some.
If their just flaked oats and not malted then they wont lose alot over time as long as you keep them well.

Back