What would the interwebz do? (flaked oats subbed with....?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you sub for flaked oats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About to order and they're temporarily out of flaked oats.
The two I think are most similar that are in stock are torrified wheat & flaked barley.
The recipes I'm using them in are a blue moon clone and a NEIPA session wheat, both use 8-9% flaked oats in the grist.

Which would you sub, or just go buy some Quaker instant oats?

The two I think are most similar that are in stock are torrified wheat & flaked barley.
The recipes I'm using them in are a blue moon clone and a NEIPA session wheat, both use 8-9% flaked oats in the grist.

Quaker oats are the same thing, or close enough so as to make no difference, but it's a hassle to pick up brewing ingredients at the grocery store. I'd probably go with flaked wheat, which will add body and help with head retention (and maybe make some haziness), followed by flaked barley. 10:1 nobody will notice the difference between any of these (except torrified wheat, which has some color and taste.)

or just go buy some Quaker instant oats?
Either regular store brand Old Fashioned oats or more processed Instant oats (@ slightly higher $$, with no perceptible difference) will work fine.
If you use them often enough, get a bigger box. Chances are either is cheaper than the flaked oats from the brew store.

I buy Quaker Old Fashioned oats at Sam's or Costco's in 10# boxes. A box contains 2 food barrier bags with 5# each. They used to be a tad under $9, they're now around $12. :(

Either regular store brand Old Fashioned oats or more processed Instant oats (@ slightly higher $$, with no perceptible difference) will work fine.
If you use them often enough, get a bigger box. Chances are either is cheaper than the flaked oats from the brew store.

I buy Quaker Old Fashioned oats at Sam's or Costco's in 10# boxes. A box contains 2 food barrier bags with 5# each. They used to be a tad under $9, they're now around $12. :(
Don't you have to cereal mash the Old Fashioned, or are they 'instantized' enough to preclude that necessity?

Don't you have to cereal mash the Old Fashioned, or are they 'instantized' enough to preclude that necessity?
Old Fashioned oats are rolled oats, the same product as what brewers call flaked oats, although technically they're not really "flaked."
The rolling process preheats the de-husked oats with steam before they get flattened by hot rollers. The pre-steaming and heated roller process pre-gelatinizes the starches for complete conversion later in the mash. No cereal mash needed, unlike oat grits (groats) or steel cut oats, that will need to be pre-cooked or better yet, cereal mashed.

Same hot roller process is used for flaked wheat, barley, and rye.
Not sure how "flaked" corn or rice is produced. Allegedly they're sufficiently pre-gelatinized too. YMMV.

They're already gelatinized. My own question has always been wether to strike at 110°-120° for a beta-glacanase rest or not to avoid a stuck sparge...(input encouraged here...)
Oh, personal opinion; Depending on style, I've found that imported British rolled-oats taste way better than our NA ones... no idea why (unless it's the glyphosphate)

Old Fashioned oats are rolled oats, the same product as what brewers call flaked oats, although technically they're not really "flaked."
The rolling process preheats the de-husked oats with steam before they get flattened by hot rollers. The pre-steaming and heated roller process pre-gelatinizes the starches for complete conversion later in the mash. No cereal mash needed, unlike oat grits (groats) or steel cut oats, that will need to be pre-cooked or better yet, cereal mashed.

Same hot roller process is used for flaked wheat, barley, and rye.
Not sure how "flaked" corn or rice is produced. Allegedly they're sufficiently pre-gelatinized too. YMMV.
Thanks. As it happens, I have some of the 5# Costco Quaker old fashioned.

Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, not the Instant

Once I realized what the LBHS was selling was the same thing as the Quaker Old Fashioned Oats we by 10-20lb of every Costco trip I just grab oats from the kitchen. i bet mine are a lot fresher too. I once considered buying a bag of oats on a group grain buy, but the Costco price was almost as good and the packaging was a heck of lot more convenient.

Back