How long will crushed grains last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I bought 5 pounds of wheat and 5 lbs of 2 row barley from my local home brew store and had him crush them for me, and he sealed them in plastic bags.. It's been about 2 weeks, I plan on brewing within the next 2 days... My question is, does crushed grains expire or will they still be fine 2 weeks after crushing?.. Just wondering if my beer will taste off.. Ty

you will be fine. It will make beer, no change in flavours that I've ever noticed, maybe lower OG but there's too many variables.

Here's a thought experiment for you. Go to the grocery store and find the cereal aisle. Look for oatmeal and notice how it is stored. It's a milled grain so it needs to be stored right or it will have off tastes, right?

It's in a cardboard tube! When was it milled? How long did it sit at the mill before going to a warehouse? How long until it got to the stockroom of the store? How long until it got to the shelf? How long until you brought it home? How long until the tube was empty? Was it stale?

Will your milled grains be stale in 2 weeks?

RM-MN said:
Here's a thought experiment for you. Go to the grocery store and find the cereal aisle. Look for oatmeal and notice how it is stored. It's a milled grain so it needs to be stored right or it will have off tastes, right?

It's in a cardboard tube! When was it milled? How long did it sit at the mill before going to a warehouse? How long until it got to the stockroom of the store? How long until it got to the shelf? How long until you brought it home? How long until the tube was empty? Was it stale?

Will your milled grains be stale in 2 weeks?

Commercial oats have preservatives, so analogy is not comparable.

I had crushed Grain in a paper bag that was rolled over and taped to seal it. I didnt get around to brewing for almost 2 months and the Beer is amazing so you should be G2G!!

A better analogy is that brew supply companies sell crushed grains in sealed bags. They sit on a shelf after shipping. They sell recipe kits with crushed grain and a long expiration date. A few weeks can't be a problem.

I have some grains that are 6 months old, I plan to use them anyway as long as there is nothing crawling around in them and maybe even if there is.

Back