How long to reach full attenuation for AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westchesterBrewer

Reaction score
With proper mash temps, oxygenation, and yeast cell count, how long does it take your brews to reach full attenuation for an all grain batch?

Since finally paying attention to all of the above, I am seeing by around day 4 (vs day 10) I have reached my expected final gravity, for beers in the 1.056 FG range. Beer is ending in the 1.014-1.010 range.

What about you? Is my experience too fast? Or just about right?

(I know mash temps, initial gravity and yeast selection can have an impact, so if you need to generalize, go for it.)

I generally hit FG at day 3-5, depending on the temperature of the fermentation and the OG.

Same here. My last 1.055 pale ale down to 1.005 in 5 days

Using San Diego Super yeast i've had 1.069 - 1.008 in 3 days.

MIght be a dumb question, but is there any correlation between speed of reaching FG and quality of beer?

MIght be a dumb question, but is there any correlation between speed of reaching FG and quality of beer?

Not in my opinion.

I assume I am getting the same results in the same amount of time as already stated, though, I have never measured for FG in less than 2 weeks. If I don't get too lazy - longer - I will package at that time.

Maybe.

What I mean is if you reach FG overnight (yes, it happens!) due to a too-hot fermentation, the beer will suffer due to the high temperatures. If you reach FG in 14 days, due to a too-low pitch rate and yeast stress, the beer will have some off flavors as well.

The idea is to pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature and ferment at the proper temperature, and the beer will be better for it. A beer that is explosive and ferments hot or struggles to fully attenuate due to underpitching will have flavor impacts.

Otherwise, as long as the yeast is healthy and not stressed, the length of active fermentation really doesn't matter.

The question of time is a yeast-specific question. Belgian yeasts stall a lot and it can take a full 4 weeks to complete the fermentation. Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast is another stinker that can take 5-6 weeks to finish fermenting. Some yeasts like Windsor are really fast, totally done in 36-48 hours. Most other ale yeasts take about 7 days on average. Lager yeast, it really varies, where some are done in a week and others a month.

Don't forget, temperature and gravity are more variables that can change the timing significantly. The same yeast fermented at 55 F will perform much differently at 75 F, or with OG 1.040 versus 1.080.

Time is not the thing to keep track of. Wait until all signs of fermentation have ceased, then take a gravity reading, then wait 3-4 more days, then take another gravity reading. If the same, it's done. If not, wait another 3-4 days and repeat until finished. Final gravity needs to be steady. Time is just a side-value and should never be the criterion for determining when fermentation is complete.

English strains (I use 002 and 007) usually finishing within 3 days, while 001 finishes in 5 days. I raise the temps as the krausen falls, and leave it @ 70F for a few days before crashing (unless I dry hop).

So for the most part, 99% of my brews are finished fermenting (but not completed) within a week.

So I guess the answer to my own question in no. Looking back I know I've had some beers that were great that reached FG inside a week and others that were great that took 3-4 weeks. And, I've had average/iffy beers that also did the same. Thankfully, I've had a good streak going now on my last half dozen batches and hope it continues with this chocolate stout.

I just reached 1.013 from 1.060 in a day and a half.
2 packs Nottingham, dry pitched into 5.5 gallons at 65.
Pitched two as Mr Malty suggested 1.4 packs and always pitch a but more when pitching dry to account for yeast shock death.

Fermentation kept at 65 in my fridge with temp controller.
Yeast packs were brought up to wort temp before pitch.

Never had this happen before but due to structuring process correctly, can't imagine I should have any off flavours. Will take 3 consecutive refractometer readings to see if further attenuation possible. But hot damn that was fast!

Latest posts

Back