How long to ferment a BIG stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanchmd

Reaction score
Howdy, I have a stout fermenting, OG was 1.17 or so. It's been 2 weeks fermenting at about 62 degrees ambient, and it dropped to 1.048, but activity really slowed so I brought the beer upstairs ambient temp 69 degrees and now I'm getting a bubble in the airlock every 5 seconds again. Using Super San Diego yeast, huge starter. How long you figure before it's done? Should I be worried about being in the primary for more than a month? Thanks

A month is not a long time to sit on the yeast, just let it do its thing until it hits the target gravity and stays there for a few days. If it stalls out higher than you'd like there are other yeasts you could pitch to take it down even further.

1.17... wow. What was your pitch rate, how did you aerate?

If I had a beer progressing like that I wouldn't be concerned about getting it into secondary for another couple weeks. Also, I would try to get it to about 72F at this point.

Howdy, I have a stout fermenting, OG was 1.17 or so. It's been 2 weeks fermenting at about 62 degrees ambient, and it dropped to 1.048, but activity really slowed so I brought the beer upstairs ambient temp 69 degrees and now I'm getting a bubble in the airlock every 5 seconds again. Using Super San Diego yeast, huge starter. How long you figure before it's done? Should I be worried about being in the primary for more than a month? Thanks

Yes you should be worried about it being in the primary for more than a month. At about 3 months you can start to worry and by 6 months you can worry quite a bit. One month on the yeast cake won't hurt this big beer.

Back