How long is too long in a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecshultz

Reaction score
Fantastic Fellow Fermenters,
I have been reading a lot about length of time a beer can spend in a primary, and I have gotten a lot of different views. I brewed a Cream Stout a few weeks back, and originally I wanted to leave it in the primary for 5 weeks before I bottled. However, looking at my calendar I don't think I will be able to bottle until it is in there for more like 6 weeks. It is sitting in my closet, covered, at temps between 70 and 72 degrees. Is this going to cause any problems? I am pasting a link to the recipe below (it is a modification of the deception cream stout recipe I found in the recipes forum).

http://hopville.com/recipe/1653348

I would appreciate any help/advice.

Best,
Michael

You will get a variety of different opinions. I personally don't think there will be a "problem" per se, but honestly, if I knew I was going to let a beer sit for 6 weeks, I'd probably rack to secondary right after the initial fermentation was done.

That said, I've brewed a big stout before and it sat in the carboy on the yeast for 6 weeks or more and it was one of my best batches. I doubt you would get any off flavors by letting it sit only that long. Some people have left beer on the yeast cake for a few months with no noted problems.

I've gone anywhere from 2-12 weeks in primary so far. NO issues, at all, with any of the batches. No racking to secondary just for the hell of it. I will move a brew to an aging vessel IF I'm going to age it for an extended period (several months) and it will have something added that does best off the yeast. Otherwise, it stays in primary until it goes to serving kegs.

If you can keep it at a decent temperature, post fermentation, then you really have nothing to worry about. There are postings of people having beer in primary for 6+ months (in a basement most often) that were great when they got to glass.

You will get differing opinions on this. Like Homercidal said, I would rack it shortly after fermentation is complete. Particularly with lighter beers like a cream ale. Darker/stronger beers can sit longer. Longer it sits the more opportunities for off flavors and infections.

You will get differing opinions on this. Like Homercidal said, I would rack it shortly after fermentation is complete. Particularly with lighter beers like a cream ale. Darker/stronger beers can sit longer. Longer it sits the more opportunities for off flavors and infections.

Actually, racking opens it up to more risk of infections, oxidation and other off flavor production. IMO/IME, not worth doing. I've had batches that I wanted to transfer to serving keg at 4 weeks, go 6+ weeks before being moved. Zero issues with those batches. Same thing with those that were in primary for even longer.

Of course, if you really want to make things easier on you, look into kegging (yeah, I'm going there). I use a CO2 push to transfer my brew from fermenter (a converted sanke keg) into serving kegs (two 3 gallon corny kegs per batch). Takes all of about 10 minutes to transfer all 6 gallons. Setup is only a couple of minutes too. Cleanup isn't as bad either, since I don't have a bottling bucket to deal with. :rockin: Using CO2 to transfer also means pretty much zero risk of oxidation for the batch.

Thanks. This is all helpful. It is over 6% abv. I think I am gonna go ahead and leave it in there for the six weeks. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Golddiggie said:
Actually, racking opens it up to more risk of infections, oxidation and other off flavor production. IMO/IME, not worth doing. I've had batches that I wanted to transfer to serving keg at 4 weeks, go 6+ weeks before being moved. Zero issues with those batches. Same thing with those that were in primary for even longer.

Of course, if you really want to make things easier on you, look into kegging (yeah, I'm going there). I use a CO2 push to transfer my brew from fermenter (a converted sanke keg) into serving kegs (two 3 gallon corny kegs per batch). Takes all of about 10 minutes to transfer all 6 gallons. Setup is only a couple of minutes too. Cleanup isn't as bad either, since I don't have a bottling bucket to deal with. :rockin: Using CO2 to transfer also means pretty much zero risk of oxidation for the batch.

I would love to keg but I don't have the money or the space to do it.

FYI - Using proper sanitation techniques there should be no issues with infection from racking. Especially for already fermented beer.

I almost always skip secondary because I haven't seen a benefit and I am lazy. I honestly don't see myself doing it even for aging, because I'll just age in the bottle or keg.

You will be fine either way.

I have basically started a "the longer the better" approach to primary fermentation. Three weeks minimum, but six weeks is excellent.

Yeah, I go directly to keg unless i'm dry hopping or doing something in secondary (fruit, spices, etc.). You will get a million opinions on secondary vs. not on here so I wont get into that here.

I dry hop in serving keg now. Right before the keg goes into the brew fridge, to chill and carbonate, I add the whole hops (in a nylon sack). Like it much better than when I dry hopped before keg/bottle. Hop aroma/flavor lasts for MUCH longer too. :D

Nope, but I don't brew beer with fruit in it. Never have, seriously doubt I ever will. I don't make 'chick beer'... :eek: :cross:

Don't limit yourself mate. I've had some amazing lambics, sours, belgians, wits, etc. that have fruit. Hey if it's good enough for Dogfish Head, New Belgium, Great Dividee, etc... worth a try IMO.

Don't limit yourself mate. I've had some amazing lambics, sours, belgians, wits, etc. that have fruit. Hey if it's good enough for Dogfish Head, worth a try IMO.

All those you listed are not what I like to, or will, drink. Just because DFH does something doesn't mean squat to me. If I'm not going to drink it, I'm not going to make it.

Latest posts

Back