How long in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdau

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster.

TL;DR: how long can I leave my cider in secondary and still have it carbonate in the bottle?

Long story so that folks can critic. A friend and I managed to scavenge about 7 bushels of windfall apples from about 14 different trees. About 5 bushels was a combination of mac, spy and snow. Partial bushels made up the rest of golden delicious, three types of crab apple and then at least seven different types of wild apples from the local conservatory. Suffice to say, we will never be able to make this same cider again.

We took it to a not-so-local mennonite who crushed and pressed it for us, which resulted in about 70L of cider. As it was coming out of the press we put in campden tablets. We split the 70L between us so we each have 23L and 12L. I'm using Safale S-04 Yeast for the 12L and Saflager S-23 Yeast in the 23L.

I am going to wait until the primary fermentation is done and then I am going to rack it. Unless it tastes amazing out the gate, I am going to leave it in secondary for a "while". My question is, how long can it stay in secondary and still be able to carbonate in the bottle? I have two other kits going right now and I don't see myself needing/wanting this cider for 6 months.

Oddly, my safale batch isn't bubbling after more than 48 hours. I've tried pouring it into a clean bucket and back to introduce some oxygen. If it doesn't work I guess I'll be going to buy another yeast packet.

Not really happy with the fragile cider sitting there.

My current batch with S-04 didn't start either. I ended up rehydrating another packet of yeast after 2 days and it finally kicked in but it's progressing really slowly. I think I may have neglected to add yeast nutrient at the beginning (I always do). Maybe you can add some now and see if it picks up?

I'm no expert on cider, I've only made it once and I thought the stuff was awful it was only a small batch. I would say if your using any kind of beer yeast I'd definitely put some yeast nutrients. I think most people, and I did when I made that vile concoction used champagne yeast

If it was nutrient deficit then why would the saflager be going okay? I guess I can go and buy some tomorrow and see. Its already 5 days I think, I hope it doesn't get infected.

If it was nutrient deficit then why would the saflager be going okay? I guess I can go and buy some tomorrow and see. Its already 5 days I think, I hope it doesn't get infected.

Have you taken any gravity readings? That's really the only way to know if it's stalled, or not started.

The initial reading was about 1.06. One of the batches is 1.05(12L) and the other is 1.04(23L). Only problem is I am going by my friends measurement for the 1.06, one persons 1.06 can be another persons 1.05.

They both seem stalled now.

I just put 1 tables spoon of DAP in the 23L one and 1/2table spoon of DAP in the 12L one. I mixed them up really well to introduce oxygen and I put the lid on losely to avoid fruit flies. Previously I had it sealed with an air lock.

I also added 50ml of my friends actively fermenting cider to my 12L batch.

This sure isn't going as smoothly as a kit!

The initial reading was about 1.06. One of the batches is 1.05(12L) and the other is 1.04(23L). Only problem is I am going by my friends measurement for the 1.06, one persons 1.06 can be another persons 1.05.

They both seem stalled now.

I just put 1 tables spoon of DAP in the 23L one and 1/2table spoon of DAP in the 12L one. I mixed them up really well to introduce oxygen and I put the lid on losely to avoid fruit flies. Previously I had it sealed with an air lock.

I also added 50ml of my friends actively fermenting cider to my 12L batch.

This sure isn't going as smoothly as a kit!

Have you taken any temperature readings? Where do you have it stored? How much SO2 did you add?

The temperature is about 20C, its in my basement. We added about 1 campden tablet per gallon.

It seems to be going a little now. It has a nice layer of bubbles on top. I personally think its because of the DAP, these are all pretty much wild apples, so absolutely zero nitrogen fertilizer or anything else.

If you haven't added any DAP or nutrient (mostly DAP anyway), I would suggest adding DAP early in fermentation (above 10 brix). Unless you're going for something more organic-like; however SO2 kind of nullifies that.

I did add DAP and it seems to be going again. I'm going to measure it tomorrow again.

Back