How long i can hold wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi, i thought i have yeast before brew, but i didn't had one. I need 1-2 days to get proper one, how long and how could i keep wort to save the brew?

The colder the better. 32F is better than 60F. Freezing is fine too in a brew bucket, just not in a glass or thin plastic fermenter.
Then warm up to pitching temps and aerate/oxygenate well before pitching yeast.

Now that yeast you're waiting for, is that dry or liquid yeast?

As @Pappers_ said you want to prevent other microorganisms from taken a foothold.

If it's 24-36 hours before you can pitch, 60-70F would be fine as long as your sanitation is good.
If 36-72 hours, definitely toward the mid 30s to low 40s (F).

At least with dry yeast you don't need to make starter, which takes another 1-2 days.

Keep it sealed and you should be fine. Yes, colder is better, but worry about it. A decent pitch of yeast should work fine. I'd recommend pitching dry yeast if you have to delay the yeast; a vial of liquid will take a long time to get started, and a starter will just take extra time. A packet of dry yeast has a lot more yeast cells than a vial of liquid.

As cold as you can, but not frozen. But ferm temp in a closed, well sanitized fermenter should be fine for a day. You just don't want wild yeast to take off before your yeast has a chance to establish itself.
Why? What happens if wild yeast start the ferm? Then what if you then pitch ontop?
Is there a way to know if there are baddies in the beer?

Why? What happens if wild yeast start the ferm? Then what if you then pitch ontop?
If unintended wild yeasts (and/or bacteria) get a foothold, chances are they'll leave flavors and aromas in the beer that are undesirable, turn it sour, and most likely make it putrid. Once a microorganism prevails it makes it more difficult for others to compete, at least while it reigns, and your yeast pitch may not crowd them out or not enough. There's a very small chance it results in a wonderful beer, and definitely not what was intended. Wild brewers do some coaxing to capture or cultivate the right "bugs" to increase their odds on making yummy wild beer.
Is there a way to know if there are baddies in the beer?
Not a matter of if. All beer contains "baddies," it's merely pasteurized, not sterile. It's only a matter of time for those baddies to multiply and reign, comparable to milk turning sour or worse. A good healthy yeast pitch as soon as possible will increase a brewer's odds of making the intended beer.

A microscope, streaking, plating, etc., as well as extended studies in microbiology can shine some light on what those "baddies" are.

Back