How long for Acetobacter to show up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
Last year I got an acetobacter infection in a batch of stout and didn't catch it before I bottled. I reused the yeast for a batch of ESB and when I went to bottle it was apparent there was a problem. Fast Forward a year to another batch of stout...
Thursday I pitched an active Wyeast 1098 into 3 liters of wort made with 3 cups dark DME in a gallon wine jug. Fermentation started within a couple hours. Every time I walked by I swirled the jug, one time it blew up on me. I cleaned it off and put it back. Today (Sunday) I went to pitch the starter and it smelled like vinegar so I tasted it and had my wife taste it. Not willing to chance losing a 13 gallon batch of beer, I chose to dump the starter.
Anyone know how long it takes for the bacteria to show up and start working? Am I just paranoid?

northernlad said:
Last year I got an acetobacter infection in a batch of stout and didn't catch it before I bottled. I reused the yeast for a batch of ESB and when I went to bottle it was apparent there was a problem. Fast Forward a year to another batch of stout... Thursday I pitched an active Wyeast 1098 into 3 liters of wort made with 3 cups dark DME in a gallon wine jug. Fermentation started within a couple hours. Every time I walked by I swirled the jug, one time it blew up on me. I cleaned it off and put it back. Today (Sunday) I went to pitch the starter and it smelled like vinegar so I tasted it and had my wife taste it. Not willing to chance losing a 13 gallon batch of beer, I chose to dump the starter. Anyone know how long it takes for the bacteria to show up and start working? Am I just paranoid?

Starters should not taste like vinegar so that's how long it takes to show up:)

Back