How long can I wait to add yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheBasement

Reaction score
It's Dec 30 and I am brewing an Oktoberfest. I am having a party here tomorrow and my fridge is full with 2 kegs that need to stay cold. So I cannot place the beer in the fridge for temp control until Sunday morning (or afternoon depending on my condition). Is it OK to have the wort sitting for a day and a half with no yeast in it until I can control the temperature?

The only concern I'd have is that you're giving whatever else is in there a chance to gain a foothold for 2 days. Normally whatever might be there has little chance against the billions of yeast cells, but if there are no yeast cells....

Can you pitch now, and use a swamp cooler to keep the temp down? All you need is a turkey pan, an old t-shirt, and some water. You can add ice to the pan, or place ice chunks under the t-shirt so they keep the shirt wet as they melt.

Well, I can keep it cool. Problem is it may be too cool. I may put it on the deck. The temp will be high of 42, and low of 27 for the next 2 days. Should I pitch the yeast today and then leave it on the deck where it will be cold and then move it to the temp controlled area on Sunday morning?

Well, I can keep it cool. Problem is it may be too cool. I may put it on the deck. The temp will be high of 42, and low of 27 for the next 2 days. Should I pitch the yeast today and then leave it on the deck where it will be cold and then move it to the temp controlled area on Sunday morning?

If you pitch the yeast and then chill the wort like that, the yeast won't be doing much.

Do you have an inkbird or similar controller and some method of generating heat? You could put it on the deck and heat it when necessary....

Failing that, all you need to do is keep it (likely) in the low-to-mid 60s for 2 days. Put the fermenter in a pan of water, add some ice cubes or some such, and you should be able to manage this. Put a t-shirt over the fermenter, add ice chunks or cubes under the shirt and as they melt they'll cool the fermenter.

You just need this to work until Sunday, not for all time.

What yeast are you using and what is the range of acceptable temps?

I'm using Saflager S23. So here's an alternative option. My "beer zone" in my basement is presently at about 61 degrees F. I want to ferment at 55. I almost think that starting at 61 would provide a good temp to get the yeast going. Leave it there from this evening until Sunday morning? Does that sound reasonable? I am a lager newbie. this is only my second one. I have not used liquid yeast yet, only dry.

I would chill to 55 pitch yeast and put it in your basement at 61 and monitor the temps.

I would not wait 2 days.

A turkey pan or even a cookie sheet with some ice cubes could keep it in the mid fifties with little effort.

Back