how long before you started to experiment with adjuncts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaviBrewski

Reaction score
Ive almost drank my first batch and im looking to brew my second. I want to do a psuedo lager with kveik as i dont have temperature control but i saw a recipe from northern brewer for a lime tree lager i wanted to tweek (lemon AND lime lager with a pinch of sea salt). people are telling me however to brew a simple lager first.

so when did you all start experimenting with additions of things?

Are you doing an extract or all-grain? Extract is very straightforward in that everything's measured out and it's just topping off with water. No guessing. All-grain requires more knowledge about timing, temperature maintenance during the boil and efficiency among other things.
I looked up the recipes for them on NB (lime tree lager). If that's them, using real lemon and lime in the bottling sugar/water mix isn't going to goof anything up. That's my opinion on extract. I can't speak to experimenting if it's AG. The kit does come with crystalized flavoring though and if it's real, should be good.
I started experimenting around my third or fourth batch but what you're doing sound like a minor adjustment. Another thought is use just one fruit this time.

Are you doing an extract or all-grain? Extract is very straightforward in that everything's measured out and it's just topping off with water. No guessing. All-grain requires more knowledge about timing, temperature maintenance during the boil and efficiency among other things.
I looked up the recipes for them on NB (lime tree lager). If that's them, using real lemon and lime in the bottling sugar/water mix isn't going to goof anything up. That's my opinion on extract. I can't speak to experimenting if it's AG. The kit does come with crystalized flavoring though and if it's real, should be good.
I started experimenting around my third or fourth batch but what you're doing sound like a minor adjustment. Another thought is use just one fruit this time.
all grain biab. i also saw a recipe from NB than called for lemon drops (lemon drop saisson). i asked around for flavoring and someone said they used sugar free kool aid flavoring in the priming solution. i kind of wanted to steer cleer of that and thinking of actually using real lime/lemon zest. just dont know when to add it during the boil is my main issue

all grain biab. i also saw a recipe from NB than called for lemon drops (lemon drop saisson). i asked around for flavoring and someone said they used sugar free kool aid flavoring in the priming solution. i kind of wanted to steer cleer of that and thinking of actually using real lime/lemon zest. just dont know when to add it during the boil is my main issue
You can make a tincture by soaking your zests separately in a few ounces of vodka for a week or so shaking daily. Then you can add that to taste at bottling/kegging time by adding, mixing, tasting, repeat as necessary That's what I do. You will lose some flavor and aroma if the zest goes in the FV early. (Apologies to the regulars who read my method... again!)

Since beginning, hehe. But the best way to start is making tinctures and add at bottling. Everclear or vodka is good, use a syringe to test before and everything should go fine.

i also saw a recipe from NB than called for lemon drops (lemon drop saisson)

I believe that recipe just calls for hops named Lemondrop that have a bit of a lemon aroma. Not actual lemons or lemon drop candies. That recipe makes a very nice beer, if you like Saisons.

Your original plan seems fine (lemon AND lime lager with a pinch of sea salt). Dry Lutra is an easy yeast to use.

Back