how likely is contamination in this scenario?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milholen

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain batch using the BIAB method. Everything went great and my preboil OG was dead on what BeerSmith said it would be. I did a small 2.5 gallon batch so for cooling I just poured the hot wort into an Ale pale and sat that in an ice bath to cool. The Ale Pale was covered. It was really late so I laid down to take a nap while the wort cooled and I fell dead asleep. Didn't wake up until 4 hours later. The wort was room temp by then so I just transferred to a 3 gal carboy and pitched a single vial of White Labs 1056.

The wort is fermenting like crazy now. What's the likelihood of contamination considering I basically did a no chill method with a loose lid over the Ale Pale for 4 hours prior to pitching??

As long as the pail was covered I see no real increased risk of infection. You did sanitize all the stuff that came in contact with the wort? As long as everything was sanitized properly and the wort is covered from dust in the air it could easily sit for a day or more without infection. Not a great idea to push the envelope on that time frame but in theory your safe.

BUT... I'd be concerned about bring boiling wort in contact with a plastic pail. Plastics release toxic chemicals when they get super hot. Some are safe at boiling and some should really not go above 100 to 140F

I think that you're fine. Next time, you should just leave it in the kettle, because metal conducts heat better than plastic anyway. That should get it cooled faster.

If you drink it and then 30 years later you develop a third nipple.

Seriously, I doubt that you have anything to worry about.

Back