How is my First Brew Going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Mompier

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started lurking these forums as I started my first batch on Wednesday and decided to join the community! First batch is a Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 gallon kit - Everyday IPA. So far I think it is going okay but have had a few moments of paranoia so what do you all think?

1. My stove burners didn't have enough gusto for the Boil uncovered. I covered the pan to get it going then tried partially covering to keep a rolling boil going, if I ever removed lid completely the boil died down on me. I have read about the unsavory chemicals/flavors that need to be released in the boil that a lid lets them back in.

2. Fermentation started a bit too cold I think. I originally thought my basement would be the perfect place to ferment as it would remain cool and dark. We had some chilly spring days here and I noticed temps down there dipped into low 50s... I brought the carboy up to the utility room and from what I read it is usually okay to give a quick swirl to wake up the yeast if you think they got cold. Temps have been hanging at around 65 now, switched to the airlock last night and initially fermentation seems to be dying down, not too much foam head at top anymore (today is day 3 of ferment)

Those are the big two, on a funny note I thought I had a slick setup for my strainer over the lauter tun but it wasn't big enough and it slipped and dumped all my grains back in. Loving it so far and can already see lots of room to get better, just hoping this first batch comes out drinkable!

Sounds like a perfect first day. While pure brewing success is always fun, realizing the joy of brewing while discovering the desire to refine and excel at the craft is a marker of success first time out. Be proud of first results (regardless of outcome) and keep a log. Celebrate every victory, no matter how big or small. Welcome to homebrewing!!!

That's cool! The first beer is a pretty neat thing . Welcome to the hobby and forum . This place is full of k knowledge.

Not too sure about your first question there, I'm not an expert on beer science but I don't think you'll have an issue. Really the only thing you have to worry about is whether you find it drinkable or not. Even dudes with contaminated beer still get a drinkable product.

As for your second question as long as you had signs of fermentation you're fine. Most guys prefer to ferment at lower temperatures anyway because fermenting alcohol creates heat, and if your fermentation gets too warm it can create off flavours. Some yeast strains actually thrive at cooler temperatures as well.

I find my beers all die down after a few days but I usually let them ferment for two weeks before I bottle, but that's up to your personal preference. If you're in doubt take a hydrometer reading and it will give you a picture of what's happening. I didn't have one for the longest time and it makes a huge difference.

I wouldn't worry too much, worst case scenario you make some crappy beer. I sometimes have a lot of anxieties about my beers and then I remember that they've been doing this for thousands of years without all the fancy equipment we have today.

My stove burners didn't have enough gusto for the Boil uncovered. I covered the pan to get it going then tried partially covering to keep a rolling boil going

I did that myself when I used to brew on my stove. I hear rumblings about a boil needed to drive off DMS, but I think that is mostly not needed with modern grains, and likely not something that even applies to extract based brewing.

Sounds like your first batch got a good start!

You are good to go. The lower temps are fine. It might take a little longer to ferment. Partial lid on is ok too. You don’t need a monster volcano boil. A nice simmer/boil is good.
Cheers

Welcome. Similarly started with a Brooklyn Brew Shop Pale Ale just over a year ago.Still going at it, stuck with the gallon batches because it matches my consumption nicely. I brew small batches but often. I enjoy the process. That first beer is special. Sounds like everything is going fine.

. Fermentation started a bit too cold I think. I originally thought my basement would be the perfect place to ferment as it would remain cool and dark. We had some chilly spring days here and I noticed temps down there dipped into low 50s... I brought the carboy up to the utility room and from what I read it is usually okay to give a quick swirl to wake up the yeast if you think they got cold. Temps have been hanging at around 65 now, switched to the airlock last night and initially fermentation seems to be dying down, not too much foam head at top anymore (today is day 3 of ferment)

The proper fermentation temperature depends on the yeast variety. Nottingham works down into the upper 50's and ferments really clean there, almost like a lager. Other varieties may need it a bit warmer. Once fermentation slows down, probably around day 5, you can let the beer get warmer, up into the low 70's, which helps prod the yeast into eating the more difficult sugars to digest and clean up intermediate products. Keeping the beer too cold may lead to the yeast stopping before the last of the sugars are gone and leave you with a higher FG than expected.

Back