Fermentation is at 31 days…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_E

Reaction score
Hi All,

Starting to get a little nervous about the fermentation time of my first ever batch of mead. Here is a photo taken tonight, 31 days after fermentation started and it’s still going strong. Should I rack or let it go until it simmers down? All I have done was punch down the cap a few times during the first 2 weeks of fermentation.

IMG_3768.jpeg

when you say going strong is it evidenced by the airlock activity, hydrometer readings, or do you see a lot of activity in the fv ?

31 days is a long time. what yeast?

I have visible micro size bubbles still floating up, lively bubble action in the airlock. Using Lalvin D47 yeast. I have not added any nutrients. I have not taken a hydrometer reading.

You have a pretty good cake at the bottom so if it isn't done it is nearing it. Without a hydrometer you will never be sure though. Do you plan to stabilize it?

I have visible micro size bubbles still floating up, lively bubble action in the airlock. Using Lalvin D47 yeast. I have not added any nutrients. I have not taken a hydrometer reading.

The bubbles you are seeing are most likely just CO2 coming out of suspension in the mead, and said CO2 escaping via the airlock. Only real way to know what is happening is by taking a reading, and then taking another in a day or two. If they are both the same, it's done. I mean I can see fermentation taking some time because you did not add nutrients, but it should be done by now.

Good Evening All,

Took a hydrometer reading today and at 1.01, I decided to rack it and give it a taste. Notes of orange and of course honey with no bite, very smooth. Here is a picture of the vessels for aging, can already see the settling. Don’t see any fermentation action and the air locks are quiet. If the SG remains the same, %ABV is 11.34 +-.

IMG_0302.jpeg

Update, went to check the vessels the next day… lots of tiny bubbles doing their thing with airlock action and a new layer of leese in the vessel bottoms.

31 days after fermentation started and it’s still going strong.
It looks like your batch is coming along nicely, even if a little slow. The first thing I think of is how cool do you keep the fermenter or your room? If it's on the cooler side (like maybe below 65°) it can slow the yeast down.
Other than that maybe you just got some sleepy yeast!

Hi All,

Latest update, took a SG reding yesterday, it was at 1.007, now down to 1.006… tiny bubbles, so I’ll let it go for another week. Taste test shows it has really “dried” out since starting. Wouldn’t call this a sweet mead by any means. Since I have only tasted mead once in my life, many years ago I have nothing to judge my taste perceptions to. Onward we go. 😀

was at 1.007, now down to 1.006… tiny bubbles, so I’ll let it go for another week.
If it's still moving, it's still fermenting. I would highly recommend waiting until it stops moving completely. No need to rush it. Bottle bombs are no joke & can cause serious injuries to you, your family & even family pets.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Update… SG is down to 1.003! Tiny tiny bubbles are really slow now, I’ll wait one more week and test again. Like y’all have said… no hurry. Quick smell test, honey… but I can sense the alcohol as well before tasting. I’m looking forward to developing a taste for mead, because my winemaking endeavors are slow at the moment. 😀 Forgot to mention… beautiful CLEAR amber color like I see in your posts (what mead should look like). 😀

Back