How important is topping off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scientific hippie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got some great apple juice from New England from my local place last year; I believe I got six gallons and I fermented it first in a seven-gallon bucket and then in a six-gallon carboy. I used sweet cider yeast (my husband likes it sweet), and it came out great. I used the homebrew place's recipe, but it is not online anymore, so I am recreating it from my notes. I cannot find my notebook right now, but I remember adding apple juice concentrate. I think it was to top it off, but I'm not sure. This year I want to make more than double the amount and make it in two "six-gallon" (really 7.9 gallon) FastFermentors. I ordered 12 gallons of juice, but wasn't thinking of the airspace. There is a much larger airspace in a FastFermentor. Is it going to be mostly CO2, or do I need to order more juice to fill each one up?

IIRC you don't need to top off if you throw a campden tab in there. The main purpose of topping is to limit oxygen exposure. Somebody who knows more on the subject will likely chime in.

I use 30L(7.9g) & 20L(5.3g) Speidel fermentors & my typical batch size 4.5 - 6gal -- their is always plenty of headspace as I never top off. ZERO issues ever [emoji111]

Cheers & Good luck [emoji16]

I think if you let it age for months after fermentation is complete you need to reduce headspace. Mostly to get the level up in the carboy neck and reduce surface area.

Fermentation isn't a big deal, it is aging you need to minimize oxygen exposure(and top off).

Back