How I Got Kicked From Beer Advocate (& HBT)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my takeaway from your post and most notably, this part I quoted, you're a new brewer who is gung-ho. We've all been there and we are likely still there, exception being some of us aren't incredibly new to the hobby. You read some books then suddenly people lacked experience in your eyes. You even mentioned that someone had never read a book on brewing. In truth, I know brewers who are amazing and they've never read a brewing book either. I will tell you that I am not one to defend BA, but at the same time I will defend the members as many of them have a vast amount of knowledge about home brewing. Just like this place, people are going to ask questions that may sound stupid to you, but they're not stupid. You read a few books, it hardly makes you the guy who should be deciding that essentially the entire community has virtually no experience. You don't know that. Looks like you had a run in with a couple of members, tops, that perhaps didn't agree with your assessment on some things. So what? This is the internet and in this hobby, opinions do vary from time to time.

Well keep reading your books please. Hard root beer is not outlandish. People have been making it for a long while and some have even made it with grain instead of just adjuncts. There's an entire thread on it right here at HBT. Whisky in beer? Why is that ridiculous? Seriously, you're kidding, right? Peppers? They're pretty damn popular these days, especially in stouts and porters. Ketchup, I want to say gross, but then again that Old Bay beer isn't actually horrid. It's not my thing, but it isn't horrid.

So I googled and I found that ketchup thread. You voice your opinion, "you cant make beer with ketchup, that is I refuse to accept it as beer at that point its a bloody mary" and that's cool. Like I said, we all have our opinions. But then I came across threads that completely contradict your entire assessment of BA being full of people who have virtually no experience.

A helpful thread:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-much-to-use.288666/
A thread where I don't see odd ideas...except maybe your original post because I didn't see the point of the effort it would take:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/floating-siphon.288894/
A thread where you were the instigator in derailing a thread where someone had a valid question (good work):
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/gypsum-or-chalk-for-upping-calcium-in-a-tripel.289001/
A very welcoming thread:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/newer-home-brewer.288375/

So what's the point? The point is that it appears to me that perhaps you had some varied opinions that weren't well received and instead of just ignoring those who decided to try odd things in their beer, you got all rowdy and started the fermenting baby thread.

I want to give you a heads up, you will find threads here where people will debate certain things, people will ask about putting things in their beer that I find odd, people will ask if you can harvest wild yeast off a cat, and people will be helpful and welcoming. In fact, in terms of home brewing, this place is like a giant BA. BA's larger audience is discussing commercial beers from what I gathered. I could be wrong, but still, the threads they have on home brewing do not tell me that there is a lack of experience there. You were trolling. You got banned for trolling, as you know. I assume the same would happen here if you lose your cool and act the same.

So breathe. RDWHAHB and welcome back to HBT.

No, our bodies are mostly water.

I'm not gung-ho btw that implies that I get in over my head without thinking and it's not like I quickly skimmed through those books I read it over multiple times until I fully understood the application of the words and I could tell you exactly the role of farnesene humulene, Mycene, and caryophyllene so no I'm not like most Brewers I actually want to understand every aspect of the process on a molecular level

I'm not gung-ho btw that implies that I get in over my head without thinking and it's not like I quickly skimmed through those books I read it over multiple times until I fully understood the application of the words and I could tell you exactly the role of farnesene humulene, Mycene, and caryophyllene so no I'm not like most Brewers I actually want to understand every aspect of the process on a molecular level

images

It's a code! You have to read every fourth word to decipher. It starts as "I have failure obviously..."

"I have failure obviously a and it to common decided post others to well the able because suggest the used stuff actually once a on stuck it interesting character beginning to is writer up this be for thats me the it he whole Im there involved I so a books Im at my also get it what do mildly whole that to..."

I don't get it

"I have failure obviously a and it to common decided post others to well the able because suggest the used stuff actually once a on stuck it interesting character beginning to is writer up this be for thats me the it he whole Im there involved I so a books Im at my also get it what do mildly whole that to..."

This made my head hurt

There is a line between reading and application that exists though. Someone out of college who read about how to build a house, and knows about a bunch of minute details in the process, probably isn't going to be as good as someone who has been doing it for years.

You read all those books and didn't notice that they used commas and periods?

One of the threads you posted on BA, eight days ago to be exact, mentioned that you had just cracked open your first homebrew. So it's a bit rich so say that you don't get in over your head when your head has only just popped out of your mothers chuff, so to speak, in homebrewing terms.

Is this some sort of experiment for a college paper or something? Some sort of social experiment? I hope so.

I don't get it

He had a a failure, and thought it common, so he posted to ask what it was he saw used on a stuck fermentation that added character to the beer. Says a beginner wrote the post and came up with the fix. He has the same issue but can't find anything about it in books and he also wants to know how to get the same result with less added character.

Isn't it obvious?

OK, I'm taking this quote out of context, because that's how I originally misread it, but this is so wrong.

Don't take this **** too seriously, it is NOT real despite it's claims to the contrary.

Not much is more real than my homebrew. Though admittedly, I do take it too seriously.

That said, about thirty years ago I started drastically reducing my salt intake. Hot air popped corn get butter with lots of garlic powder, ground ginger, cayenne and maybe something else that catches my attention (last batch had some dried sage).

Not a ketchup fan because it's a bit sweet for me. Fries tend to be dipped into mustard. But other than sugar, the standard ketchup is not much more than pureed tomato salsa. And salsa is my preferred topping for eggs.

I almost expect someone to start calling Beer Advocate posters EACs.

Word salad. Delicious.

Guys, a couple of you responded to this as if it were English.

He's only 19 that's explains a lot teenagers think they know every thing and are never wrong.

Just posted this in the 'Worst Commercial Beer' Thread:

You know a majority of the beers i decide to try out I absolutely hate but at the same time it's kind of like motivation because I'm like yeah I can do better than that

You know a majority of the beers i decide to try out I absolutely hate but at the same time it's kind of like motivation because I'm like yeah I can do better than that

Eh, I do the same, fairly often actually. But I am and Award Winning Brewer now, so I'm infallible.

(I did not expect to win, and don't think I deserved it)

First, you're 19, which means it is only a matter of time before you are going to have to depart from this site. You can do it yourself or I believe a mod will help you out.

Second, dude...the first run-on paragraph was explained away as though you were dictating to your phone, but twice in one day? Surely you jest.

You are right, you are not like most brewers. We tend to respect other brewers and we don't **** on them. You can go ahead and understand the process on a molecular level or you can actually get your head out of your ass and learn that home brewing is constantly evolving. Trying to come off as being better than anyone else because you've been brewing for a week and read 4 books on the matter does not make you an expert, it makes you a ****** and people like you give people like us a bad name.

Pinky out my friend.

first, you're 19, which means it is only a matter of time before you are going to have to depart from this site. You can do it yourself or i believe a mod will help you out.

Second, dude...the first run-on paragraph was explained away as though you were dictating to your phone, but twice in one day? Surely you jest.

You are right, you are not like most brewers. We tend to respect other brewers and we don't **** on them. You can go ahead and understand the process on a molecular level or you can actually get your head out of your ass and learn that home brewing is constantly evolving. Trying to come off as being better than anyone else because you've been brewing for a week and read 4 books on the matter does not make you an expert, it makes you a ****** and people like you give people like us a bad name.

Pinky out my friend.

awww snap. Bye felicia.

I've read books on jibberish multiple times so I think I know a little bit more than you about hop oils. And I read them with an electron microscope so I'd say I'm pretty gung-ho btw!

I saw that one too. Dude's a legend in his own mind.

Eh, I do the same, fairly often actually. But I am and Award Winning Brewer now, so I'm infallible.

(I did not expect to win, and don't think I deserved it)

So, how many books did you have to read to win that Donkey?

Separate question; If I read the same book until I understand molecules (say 5 times) does that count as 5 books or only 1?

Separate question; If I read the same book until I understand molecules (say 5 times) does that count as 5 books or only 1?

What's the point of reading a book if you don't read it at least 7 times? I think I read that in a book multiple times once...

...zero. I read zero books. Online excerpts from How To Brew, and a Papazian travel book with some recipes in the back, I forget what it's called. I learned everything I know about brewing from the BeerAdvocate Homebrew Forum.

Back