How high should 5 gallons be in a 6.5 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldubya

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gallon glass True Brew carboy but forgot to mark where 5 gallons should be before I poured the wort in. Does anybody with experience with this specific carboy know how many inches high the 5 gallon mark should be?

I have a 6.5 gallon glass True Brew carboy but forgot to mark where 5 gallons should be before I poured the wort in. Does anybody with experience with this specific carboy know how many inches high the 5 gallon mark should be?

I tried looking up dimensions of your carboy but they seem to differ. How about you measure the approximate diameter of your carboy (divided by two for radius) first. 5 gallons equals 1155 in^3. Then you can solve for h..

h=(1155)/(pi*r^2)

Should at least get you in the ballpark!

roughly a few inches below the shoulder of the carboy is where my 5.25 gallons sits. i can't measure up from the bottom right now, it's in a water bath and my other 6.5 carboy has 6 gallons in it. hope that helps.

edit: or listen to Kyle, that sounds like a much better way to figure it out in your personal carboy.

Back