How have your thoughts on craft beer evolved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
I was thinking today about my progression in the craft/homebrewing world. Specifically, I was thinking about really hoppy beers and the popularity of hop bombs etc. I really love a great IPA or IIPA. I've brewed some amazing hop centered beers and enjoy coming up with recipes that can highlight that particular ingredient. But recently I found myself thinking about commercially available hopped up beers with a sense of disdain. Like, people that aren't really part of the craft beer culture leaning on these beers to explain why their tastes are better than the "average beer drinker". Kind of like that style is a gimmick. I've found that I appreciate the nuance of craft beer a lot more, especially because I brew my own. I can appreciate how a recipe can be brewed so many different ways depending on time and temperature etc., and leaning more toward beers that I think are made with the love of beer in mind. I mean, whatever gets you into an elevated appreciation of beer is a great thing, but I have this idea of bros drinking a ruination and saying something like, "bro, this is the best beer in the world, you can tell because hops!" I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old. Soon I'll be telling kids to get of my lawn.

I'm in the same boat right now. My favorite beer this time two years ago was new castle brown. This time last year a nut brown that I brewed. Now it's hop bomb IPA's. I like a beer that bites back right now. I've only brewed 3 all grains and the one tomorrow will be a Hoptimum clone. However. I love the berlinerwiess that a fellow brew club member does. Very simple recipie so there's no hops to hide behind. As a brewer I want to master my craft. As a drinker I love IIPA's and wee heavy/scotch ales. As for the "bros", they're gonna drink Sam Adams or Blue moon and act like they know more about beer than a bud light drinker. If they do drink a ruination, stone made a little more money and that's a good thing.

Just my .02

I'm a bit of a hophead, but I get what you're saying. I have an uncle that drinks craft beer, but a lot of his purchases are based more on following the hype than because he really likes it. He likes to be at parties and look at what others are drinking and say stuff like, "oh, you're drinking Stone? They're ok I guess, but this is waaay better." I think the "bigger, stronger, MOAR HOPS" arms race is a fad, and in a few years, something else will take over. Actually, it already seems like a lot of breweries are starting to experiment with sours.

As far as my own progression, I started off on a lot of the same gateway drugs as anyone else: Amber Bock, Boston Lager, Shiner Bock, etc. For a while, I moved into a phase where I wanted to like everything, so I tried stuff from every different style that I could find. I choked down some beer I didn't really like with the intentions of expanding my palate. I guess some of it was successful, but others not so much. At this point, I think I've finally settled into a place where I realize which styles I tend to enjoy, and which ones I don't, and I tend to buy and brew along those lines.

I'm with Justin! I've found my niche in what styles I like. When I started brewing I thought that I had to like everything, and also choked down some beers. For example, not that I don't like them, but, a Belgian would be my last choice up against a stout, or IPA. Call me crazy, but I prefer a pale ale over a saison. Can't explain why, but I like what I like and that's what I'll drink and brew! Brew on!

When I first got into it, things couldn't be hoppy enough and stout couldn't be big enough. Now, while I still love IPA and stout, I prefer to search out session ales. As far as Belgians and sours go, I can appreciate them but do not seek them out. American wheat and hefe's are not my bag. I have never had one I truly enjoyed. German ones on the other hand are a different story.

Anyone can brew a decent IPA or stout, brewing really good session ale is harder to do.

I think the pull of the new and the novel is mighty powerful on most of us.

When I first became a foodie, I went nuts over spicy food, but I've since gone back to a more balanced set of preferences. When I first got into fine coffee (you know- not out of a red can) I had to have black french press or straight espresso every time- milk and sugar were for sissies. I've since grown to appreciating a number of coffee beverages in a range of flavors. I wasn't alone in either of these extreme culinary trends.

The beer world is going through the same thing. Extreme beer is all the rage for all the same reasons. And like food and coffee, the extreme options will always have a place in the beer world from now on- but they won't always be in the forefront.

I try not to bust on people for what they like. I can remember a time when Sam Adams was "out there on the edge" for me.

And even today, with 30 gallons of drinkable beer in the house, there are times when what I really want, is a Corona.

Sometimes, I could have a freezer full of lobster and what I really want is a decent hamburger.

With home brewing becoming as popular as it is, I believe this lends itself to a much more diverse craft brewing segment. The more educated people are becoming about beer, the more they wonder about new flavor combinations. 10 years ago, would anybody have imagined bacon beer? Not that bacon beer has taken off or anything like that, but it goes to show that people are willing to try new things or perhaps try a different approach.

I like the way things are going. I can only brew 6 or 7 times a year due to the space I'm allowed to brew in. However I can always manage to squeeze a 6 pack of something in the fridge.

Anyone can brew a decent IPA or stout, brewing really good session ale is harder to do.

Totally agree. It's fairly easy to throw a bunch of hops at a recipe to cover up brewing faults, but there's something to be said for coming up with a nice sessionable table beer.

This made me ask myself were was it I got turned on to craft beers and I realized I went to a party of a small group of friends and the host ha some of the regular light stuff there but he had a keg of home brew similar to an amber bock, I was intrigued that he brewed it himself and blown away that a beer could have so much flavor. It was on the ride home that I told my wife that I wanted to do that and after bringing it up every time I would bring home some craft beer. So, you know what I got for Christmas. My progression took me to the IPAs but I've since come back down to pale and amber ales.

Same story here. Started with Oberon and Blue Moon. Got a homebrew kit for xmass from the mother in law :rockin: so I figured that if I was going to brew that I better widen my tastes.

That next summer I challenged myself to drink 100 different IPA's because I didnt really care for them, but wanted to understand what they were all about. I think I made it to like 45 or something, but I learned so much along the way, and now I love the style.

I do know guys who only know craft beer as "IPA's". Thats ok. Its a start.

Back