How fast should I run my stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinydancer

Reaction score
Working with my starter and am about to run my stir plate for the first time. What are the visible signs I should be looking for to indicate to me that I am running it at the right speed?

Thanks in advance...

You want to get a nice little vortex going. The point is to work in some oxygen, and keep the yeast suspended, not create your own mini natural disaster.

I like to turn it up as high as I can get it without throwing the bar for the first 10-20 minutes, to get some oxygen worked in there, and then turn it down a little so I have a nice gentle vortex to keep the yeast suspended.

I used the slight upward movement and eddies you see in the side of the flask. if you get it to highthe vortex sucks air in, although good for aeration also creates excess foam that may try to blow out. Other factors(like incorrect wort OG) must have a bearing on too much foam but I'm still figuring those out. I spoke with a guy who makes stirplates for beer yeast and he said to use foam control.

kevin I'm trying not to blow out today. hehe. I got more yeast on the outside than the inside yesterday.

Wort moving with a small-medium impression in the center = good.

Wort slung up the side of the flask with a tornado going almost down to the bottom = overkill

293806204_e1458fb81b.jpg

Latest posts

Back