Maelstrom speed light blinking, no stirring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been a long time since I used one, got a used one and have been stirring up a starter for 24 hours. Paused it to look for signs of fermentation, went to resume and the only thing happening is that the speed like blinks with nothing else. Looked up the instruction manual and it is pretty useless. I've shut on and off several times and tried adjusting speed and time in various orders, nothing.

Thoughts?

Been a long time since I used one, got a used one and have been stirring up a starter for 24 hours. Paused it to look for signs of fermentation, went to resume and the only thing happening is that the speed like blinks with nothing else. Looked up the instruction manual and it is pretty useless. I've shut on and off several times and tried adjusting speed and time in various orders, nothing.

Thoughts?
Mine does the same. It's a bad device. I went as far as to look at the signals on the ckt board with my scope and still couldn't figure out the problem. I think there's a little processor on there making bad decisions. It used to work fine!

It will spin IF you can get your stir magnet spinning first. Swirl vigorously first, then get it started. I regret buying mine. (LOL, I bought mine from you).

Mine does the same. It's a bad device. I went as far as to look at the signals on the ckt board with my scope and still couldn't figure out the problem. I think there's a little processor on there making bad decisions. It used to work fine!

It will spin IF you can get your stir magnet spinning first. Swirl vigorously first, then get it started. I regret buying mine. (LOL, I bought mine from you).
UGH! Sorry man! I can't really complain because I got it with 1 1L and 2L erlenmeyer for $35, but now I remember going through several before one worked dependably. That one is yours, lol. Hope it's given you some good service at least!

So, what do you or others recommend?

UGH! Sorry man! I can't really complain because I got it with 1 1L and 2L erlenmeyer for $35, but now I remember going through several before one worked dependably. That one is yours, lol. Hope it's given you some good service at least!

See if the local Ace Hardware will let you leave it in their shaker overnight?:yes:

Seriously though, how much use did you get out of it.
Ive got one that is ~5 years old.

Seriously though, how much use did you get out of it.
Ive got one that is ~5 years old.
This one is new to me, but the guy I bought it from said it was 8 years old. I bargained him down on the age issue and took a shot. Probably looking for a more dependable brand before next brew, which won't be until after Christmas.

This one is new to me, but the guy I bought it from said it was 8 years old. I bargained him down on the age issue and took a shot. Probably looking for a more dependable brand before next brew, which won't be until after Christmas.
I just went down and looked at mine, I was curious (hoped) that there was something to indicate that it was a newer version that may have had a potential fault designed out.

I was surprised to find that there is NO rating plate whatsoever, anywhere. Not on the chassis or the box.
A sure sign of a high quality product probably designed and built in China. Maybe there is one on the board but I'm not interested in splitting the case just to find out.

Hopefully it wont fail but if it does I'll look to the lower-end lab equipment market for replacement.

How about one of these: Amazon.com
It's cheap...

I built at least 3 of them and gave them all away. Hard drive magnets, small fans to spin them, and lexan and pvc for the body. Next one I'm doing that, building it myself again. I'll add my own PWM fan speed regulator.

I built at least 3 of them and gave them all away. Hard drive magnets, small fans to spin them, and lexan and pvc for the body. Next one I'm doing that, building it myself again. I'll add my own PWM fan speed regulator.

That's how I built my first, and still used, stir plate. Used a "muffin" fan and hard drive magnet, mounted inside a plastic project box. Use a 12V wall wart and an el cheapo PWM speed controller.

2L flask rests on it nicely. Power-wise, I think it might work with 5L flask but physically it's too small for my comfort level for 5L to sit on it. For that I scored a 10"x10" Corning stir plate off Craigslist a while back.

Last edited:
How ironic, same issue with mine just yesterday. I ended up giving it a good smack like Fonzie and it’s been whirling away. I haven’t used it in about a year so maybe slight corrosion or who knows.

I have the maelstrom also with the same issue, when mine does that I trick it instead of trying to swirl the flask. I make sure the stir bar is lined up with the magnet, pick the flask up so it's just off the plate, hit the pause button to un-pause it, the magnet will start to spin, then I quickly put the flask back down, takes all of 3 seconds. Usually works, occasionally will throw the bar but this was the easiest solution I found.

How ironic, same issue with mine just yesterday. I ended up giving it a good smack like Fonzie and it’s been whirling away. I haven’t used it in about a year so maybe slight corrosion or who knows.
Could be dried lubricant. I've encountered that before with other appliances, but in those cases it needs to be cleaned off, it won't start with a Fonzie smack because the grease gets like candle wax. I'm mystified why some manufacturers use bushings and lube that dries out when we have tons of synthetic lubes available that won't dry in the foreseeable future.

Generally I attribute such things to a product built in the Far East that is wholesaled into numerous retail channels. I see that all the time on Amazon, the less expensive the more often...

Cheers!

Same issue, same solution. Starting a swirl in the flask and then putting it on the platform seems to get it going just about every time. But I've also noted that if I use a 2" stir bar I have fewer false starts. I've got a wide variety of stir bars, most of which only perform marginally on the Maelstrom, but the 2" bar with the center band and hexagon diameter is always the easiest to get going.

I've gotten pretty good service from my Maelstrom, but it's been "rode hard and put away wet" and probably needs replacing after 6 years. Not laboratory grade gear, but it does get the basic chore accomplished. I spin anywhere from 1L to 5L volumes, and it handles the load well. Once I get it spinning.

Back