How fast is too fast to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I am making an Apricot Wheat for my wife, who doesn't like beer. I made a basic wheat beer 8 days ago and added 3 cans of apricot halves, blended, after 4 days. It has now been 9 days. The SG has been 1.013/1.012 for 2 days (8 days up to now). I put the fermenter in the fridge to cold crash today and will check the SG tomorrow.

What are your opinions as to if I can keg this after 10 days, on Wednesday if the SG is stable. I would like to serve it on Thanksgiving after force carbing it on Wednesday.

If you've cold crashed it the FG won't move...the yeast are now inactive, whether or not more fermentation potential remains. In any event, it's not strange for a beer to be largely done in 8 days so go for it.

If you want it ready Thursday I'd keg by Tuesday and put the pressure at 35-40, then drop it to 30 after 24-36 hours. Purge the air, drop it to 10 and pull a test pint Thursday am.

Back