How does this IPA look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupert130

Reaction score
3# MO
1# C45
1# Munich
1# Red Wheat (for head retention and because I had it lying around)
3# Light DME
Mash at 152 for 45 min
Mash out 168 for 10 min

.5 oz Mosaic (60 min )
.5 oz Mosaic/ Ahtanum / Pacifica (15 min )
.5 oz Mosaic/ Ahtanum (5 min)
.5 oz Mosaic/ Pacifica (Dry hop)
1 oz Ahtanum (Dry hop)

Yeast S-04 (low 60s)

5.5 gal to fermentor

Should be good. Maybe add the DME with the 15 minute addition unless doing a full boil? You'll get more bitterness that way. Either way it should be good.

Should be good. Maybe add the DME with the 15 minute addition unless doing a full boil? You'll get more bitterness that way. Either way it should be good.

Thanks, I was planning on adding DME at 30 min, but I may bump it to the 15 now.

This is what it looks like now.

IPA
Method: All Grain
Style: English IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)
Source: Me

Original Gravity:1.054
Final Gravity:1.014(est.)
ABV (standard):5.35%
IBU (tinseth):45.32
SRM (mosher):8.79

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) 42 4 33.3%
1 lb United Kingdom - Crystal 45L 34 45 11.1%
1 lb American - Munich - Light 10L 33 10 11.1%
1 lb American - Red Wheat 38 2.5 11.1%
3 lb United Kingdom - Marris Otter 37 1.8 33.3%
9 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 11.7 Boil 60 min 20.33
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 11.7 Boil 15 min 10.09
0.5 oz Pacifica Pellet 5.3 Boil 15 min 4.57
0.5 oz Ahtanum Pellet 5.2 Boil 15 min 4.48
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 11.7 Boil 5 min 4.05
0.5 oz Ahtanum Pellet 5.2 Boil 5 min 1.8
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 11.7 Dry Hop 4 days
1 oz Ahtanum Pellet 5.2 Dry Hop 4 days
0.5 oz Pacifica Pellet 5.3 Dry Hop 4 days

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
14 qt Partial Mash Infusion 152 F 45 min
14 qt Mash out Temperature 165 F 10 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 2 qt/lb

Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
1 tsp yeast Nutrient Other Boil 10 min
0.5 each whirlfloc Fining Boil 10 min

Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Attenuation (custom):75%
Flocculation:Medium
Optimum Temp:59 - 75 °F
Starter:No
Fermentation Temp:64 °F
Pitch Rate:0.75 (M cells / ml / ° P)
208 B cells required

Target Water Profile: Bottled Water
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
16 16 10 80 4 7
Bottled Water

Seems a tick high on the Crystal to me, I like to keep that under 10% of the bill, and generally more around the 5-7% range. I would probably back down on the Munich and the Wheat, but then again, that is a personal preference.

Seems a tick high on the Crystal to me, I like to keep that under 10% of the bill, and generally more around the 5-7% range. I would probably back down on the Munich and the Wheat, but then again, that is a personal preference.

I will keep it in mind when I go to refine this recipe. I think I will brew with what I have and see how it turns out. I will definitely post to this thread with the results.

**UPDATE** 10/7/14
Brewed last night. The hops all have awesome aroma. This is my first time using any of them, the recipe was based on descriptions only. Hit my OG of 1.054 on the dot. Didn't use my home equipment, so only time will tell. After a 9 hour lag there was airlock activity with the rehydrated S-04. Maintaining a 16 C (60 F) ambient temp for the room it is fermenting in. Hoping for a quick ferment like I've read about in these forums.

Report back. I'm a little too late but I would add that I love my malt bills like yours. However, either my hop utilization problems or my taste buds always require me to use a lot more hops especially with a malt backbone as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

**UPDATE** 10/11
Airlock still bubbling about 1 every 15s or so. Bumped the ambient temp to 18C(66F) on 10/10. Hops aroma through airlock fading, allowing slight estery aromas to come through. Once this has finished up, I will take a gravity/tasting sample before dry hopping.

Just curious, why were you using extract at all. You had to mash anyhow, why not just use more base malt, either MO or two row?

BTW it looks good to me but I like a malty IPA. Not sure about those hops as I have never tried them but I hope you post a flavor profile here when you start drinking.

Just curious, why were you using extract at all. You had to mash anyhow, why not just use more base malt, either MO or two row?

BTW it looks good to me but I like a malty IPA. Not sure about those hops as I have never tried them but I hope you post a flavor profile here when you start drinking.

I used DME because I had it on hand. I will definitely report on the hops flavor/ aroma profile.

**UPDATE** 10/12

Airlock activity had slowed to about 2 bubbles per minute. I pulled a gravity sample and it is down to 1.015. I agitated the fermentor to rouse the yeast and there is some renewed activity although it just may be CO2 I caused to come out of solution. Just waiting another day or two to add the dry hops.

Gravity Sample Tasting:
Aroma- Big orange citrus backed up by a more subdued floral scent
Flavor- Citrus, fruit, and bitter with a good malty-ness.
Clarity- Has already dropped surprisingly clear, had to let the trub settle in the test tube as I drew the sample from the bottling spigot

I am excited to try this at bottling time after dry hopping.

**UPDATE**10/14

Gravity stable at 1.015

Dry hopped with 1 oz Ahtanum and 0.5 oz each of Pacifica/Mosaic.

Aroma, Flavor, Clarity essentially unchanged since 10/12

Will bottle this in 3-5 days.

**UPDATE** 10/17

Bottled today @ 3.5 days into dry hopping.

Aroma really pops.

Will update with tasting notes in 2 weeks, maybe 1 if I can't wait that long.

EDIT: Carbonated to 2.7 volumes CO2

**UPDATE** 10/23
Put one in the fridge this morning and popped it after 12 + hours chilling down. It was a little premature and it wasn't fully carbed, so I will reserve any ideas for tweaks until later. Here are the notes at this point.

Aroma: Really big citrus and orange marmalade
Flavor: Does not follow the nose, slight malt, hints of the hop aroma, smooth bitter
Mouthfeel: Good body, no complaints here.

I will update when fully carbonated, it may alter the my perceptions.

Realizing that I am late to the party, the only thing that I would contribute is the mash temps.

In my experience with a slightly more complicated malt bill such as this, I choose to mash around 149 to dry it out a little bit. Seems to bring the hoppiness forward a little more. After all an IPA for me is about a decent balance of malt and hops (with a slight hop advantage)
:mug:

**UPDATE** 10/28

Aroma: Orange and citrus
Flavor: When cold - Firm bitter, pale ale taste, As it warms - The bitterness fades and the citrus flavor comes through.
Mouthfeel: Good body and good carbonation

There is an odd flavor that I notice only as an aftertaste when I burp. It is slightly plastic-y or bandaid-y. I attribute this to the bottled water used. It does not say that it is treated with chlorine, but I now suspect that is the case because this is the second brew with the same flaw. I will use a campden tablet for the next brew using this source water.

All in all, this is a good brew and I will make it again. I think it could benefit by including some hops that have a more piney/resiny flavor/aroma. Mosaic is not the best bittering hop and I will probably use Magnum or Galena in subsequent brews.

Back