How does my belgian wit look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score

Austin Homebrew Belgian Wit extract kit. Partial boil, late extract addiction. Doesnt taste as spicey as i would like it to be, but its good and everyone who has tasted it loves it.

I am drinking the beer in the photo as i post.

Looks great, particularly for an extract! My extract wit was way darker and didn't have a nice head like that. My taste wasn't exactly what I was going for either but it tasted great and was a real crowd pleaser. The AG wit I just bottled should be much more "to style".

Looks Great!
I just brewed the Midwest version, its in th keg and will be ready this Friday.
Its been a long wait, hopefully well worth it. (3 weeks in primary, 10 days in the keg to carb, and one week @ 38). Samples all tasted pretty good, probably needed a bit more spice too though.

I'm pretty sure mine will be quite a bit darker even though I used late extract, Midwest version had liquid malt extract instead of dry so I think that also influences the color.

I'll post a pic to compare this weekend.

That looks fantastic (no "for an extract" necessary!). Enjoy it while it lasts, I'm guessing that batch isn't long for this world.
My extract wit was way darker and didn't have a nice head like that.
Try adding 1/2 lb of Dextrine/Cara-Pils to your steeping grains. That should help to improve your head retention.

Try adding 1/2 lb of Dextrine/Cara-Pils to your steeping grains. That should help to improve your head retention.

Thanks, I was a serious beginner when I brewed that though. It was my second batch, but I have since switched to AG, so the wheat should take care of the head retention.

Man you're making ME THIRSTY! I can hardly wait to get off work in the morning, and pull a pint out of my keg! Wouldn't mind a glassfull of what you have in the picture, but we make do with what we have :)

Be glad it isn't too spicy! Mine looked nearly as good as yours (although the head didn't look so nice) but I left the orange peel and coriander in the fermenter. It tastes like coriander... only like coriander. Makes a great cooking beer though!

I made one a while back and was shocked at how fast it went. I just made a second batch and am getting ready to keg or bottle it. Love that stuff.

I went with .5 ounce of each on first batch, but wanted a touch more orange this time so I upped that to .8 ounce. Plus, I did a late addition. Hopefully my temps weren't too high for fermenting. We'll just have to wait and see.

Seeing that pic again makes me want to do another wit. I really need to get my AG setup going, so I can save money on my brews. It's hard to spend $30+ each time.

On the Austin site for this recipe it also says a slice of lemon in the glass is a nice addition. I tried it and it compliments the beer very nicely. Good with or without the slice of lemon.

BP: thats a good lookin beer! It's time for a honey porter. :mug:

I picked this up this belgian wit a few weeks ago and looking forward to brewing it. I see it calls for orange and coriander at 15 minutes. Should I siphon the wort to the primary and leave the coriander and orange peel behind? planning on using a secondary, so I could transfer it after a few days instead of a week.

What do you guys think?

BP: thats a good lookin beer! It's time for a honey porter. :mug:

I picked this up this belgian wit a few weeks ago and looking forward to brewing it. I see it calls for orange and coriander at 15 minutes. Should I siphon the wort to the primary and leave the coriander and orange peel behind? planning on using a secondary, so I could transfer it after a few days instead of a week.

What do you guys think?
Strain out the coriander and orange after the boil.

Back