How do you transfer full boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a propane burner so I can do full extract boils. How do people transfer a full 5gal pot into primary, being that it is going to be heavy and awkward for 1 person to lift.

I have always just picked it up and poured. I want to install a ball valve and let gravity do the work for me, tho.

I put a "No weld" ball valve in my pot. It's simple to do as long as you have a big enough drill to drill the hole. If I'm doing a no chill I attach a length of pex pipe with a sharkbite fitting to direct the wort into the jug.

I rough it caveman style. I use a sterilized funnel with a sterilized paint strainer bag over top, and start a pourin away. I have a special apron I wear so as I don't get soot on my clothes as I have the bottom of the kettle resting on my knees as I begin.

Just built a new brew pot for full extract boils. 3 pcs SS valve and cam lock.

Strainer on the rim of the 6.5 gal bucket . Pick up the 8 gal pot with 5gal of wort and pour it in.. stop halfway or so to empty the strainer or hop flower leaves and trub, pour in the rest.

Brewed a huge batch a while back, it was too heavy to lift and too low to siphon, so I sanitized a one gallon plastic pitcher and transferred a gallon at a time scooping the wort with the pitcher...ghetto but works fine in a pinch!

Used a siphon until I installed a weldless valve kit. Siphon is nice because you can keep most the trub out.

My last batch as the first 5 gallon batch I've done but here's how I did it. I move my 8 gallon brew pot to the sink where I water bathed it down to pitching temp. Sanitized a pitcher, 1/2 gallon I believe, and transferred the wort one pitcher at a time until the pot was light enough for me to comfortably lift and dump into my bucket. I also pitched my yeast before dumping in the last of the wort in order to allow it to be thoroughly mixed and aerated. My airlock started bubbling away like crazy within a few hours.

Get yourself a weldless ball valve from bargain fittings or brew hardware along with some high temperature hose. It will be one of the best upgrades you'll make. No more pouring between pots.

Latest posts

Back