How do you store your Irish Moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never given it a thought. I just wrap the bag up throw a rubber band around them and toss them into my home brew junk box.
Now you've got me wondering...

Yooper Chick said:
Just in the original resealable bag in my spice cabinet. I'm way beyond storing green items in a baggy in my room.......(unfortunately)

Hops is a member of the cannabis family. If you store your hops in your room, it would technically qualify as rebellious behaviour. C'mon, take the leap. If your kids find it, you can claim to be holding for some other brewer. :eek:

Irish moss is stable at room temperature. I keep mine in the kegger's freezer, because I have critter problems.

Since it's basically seaweed (OK, technically alga), you can store it like every Asian Food store or Pet Store (Fish food), on the shelf at room temperature in a sealed bag.

I found this curiosity in Wikipedia.

Irish moss is also a beverage popular in the Caribbean (most notably Jamaica), and is made by boiling the Irish moss for about an hour in water, and a flavouring, among which Vanilla or Strawberry are popular, and then milk or sweetened condensed milk is added, or sometimes it is made flavourless and once the milk has been added rum and spices are then added. It is usually served chilled, is very thick and is sometimes thought to have aphrodisiac qualities. It is also now available ready made, tinned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_moss

I may have to call it Irie Moss now.

Yuri_Rage said:
I keep mine in the fridge. Lately I've taken to using Whirlfloc, and I just threw it in the fridge next to the moss so I'd find it easily.
Do you find whirlfloc works better than Irish moss..?

olllllo said:
Since it's basically seaweed (OK, technically alga), you can store it like every Asian Food store or Pet Store (Fish food), on the shelf at room temperature in a sealed bag.

I found this curiosity in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_moss

I may have to call it Irie Moss now.

Fascinating, I just recently picked up some irish moss as its in the recipe for my first partial boil that I'm hopefully gonna do this weekend (Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale), and when I first saw irish moss, I thought that maybe it was just a funny name and then when I saw it I was like, wtf?, who would've thought to put some weird looking algae into beer?! I love wiki so much, you always learn something new - I almost feel like trying to make that drink, but I don't think I'm quite brave enough, hehe.

Good to hear that people just keep it in a sealed bag at room temp, cos that's how mine's stored... :D

Back