Irish moss worthwhile in Irish Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Overcoming massive lack of motivation (like pretty much any brewday) and mashing in on Irish Red. Have prepped pretty well, my only question is : my impression has been that my beers with roasted barley tend to be murkier than others without, using Irish Moss as a clarifying agent. So is it a waste of time?
Thanks to anyone who chooses to offer their input, as always.

Personally I like my Irish reds to be "bright" so I'd go for it. What's one teaspoon (or less?) of Irish moss if you have it on hand?

My process also includes cold crashing and gelatin fining almost regardless of style. In an Irish red I'd go for it.

To date on my Irish Reds I've only dropped a Whirfloc tablet in the wort towards the end of the boil. After kegging they've always cleared up nicely, after a few weeks. I'm planning on brewing one next week and I'm thinking of adding some Biofine after kegging this batch, just to help clear it up faster. Thinking of entering it in a local competition.

Back