How do you know if the beer is "bad"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have only made a few batches of beer so I don't know much yet. This last one was an Oatmeal Stout. I put it in the primary for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle conditioned it for 3.5 going on 4 weeks. It is tasting a little better, but not much. It has a weird hard to describe taste like someone added dish water or something.

The first stout that I didn't din't taste like that at all. I used White Labs yeast, but it didn't bubble no where near as much as it usually does. I know that is not always an indication..but.

Anyhow. Do I need to condition it longer. How long do I keep it in the bottle before putting it in the fridge. And finally, how do I know if it is just a bad batch of beer? What could have caused it to be bad?

As always, thank you for your infinite wisdom.

Right off the bat, it sounds like you didn't give it enough time in the primary. But there may be more to your situation. The more we know the better.

I find that stouts are much better after couple months of aging. Time may improve that beer quite a bit. Leave them out of the fridge to continue conditioning.

Sometimes a Stout is good from teh get go and sometimes it's a LITTLE skanky and need more timing.

My advice is - if it taste good drink it, if it taste . .weird but does not make you gag - store it if it makes you gag and tastes like drano - probably not going to get a LOT better.

Okay, Here is the info.

Ingredients for this kit from MidWest Brewing :
6 pounds of Dark malt extract, Specialty grains (Flaked oats, Chocolate malt, Roasted Barley Malt) 1 ounce of hops,
I used White Labs yeas

Cleaning process - First I wash and rinse everything but without soap or any chemicals. Then I make a fresh batch of EZ-Clean (oxygen cleaner I think) and clean everything with that and a clean wash rag soaked in that. Now I did save the EZ clean that was left to clean the bottling bucket 3 weeks later when I bottled. Could that do anything.

Unfortunately this is the first and only time I forgot to get a hydro reading. Damn it.

As far as the taste. It is completely drinkable, just has a bittery / slightly odd after taste. It has gotten better over time, but I didn't know how long I would have to wait.

Okay, I looked at the EZ Clean, and it states EZ - Clean cleaner.....I can't find anything about sanitizer.....so I am assuming a cleaner. However the DVD, that I have from Midwest Brewing showing how to brew treat it like it is a sanitizer. For example they just take new bottle caps and dip it in the stuff and they are done. So.....I don't know. They have a 800 number I will call and ask.

my guess is you need to rinse your bottles and glassware better. soapy residue will come off in beer. i would let the bottles sit for as long as you can stand it. then chill a minimum of 24 hours before drinking.

Back