HOW do you guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure what you're smelling is not root beer.

Caustic soda is easy to get rid of. I soak overnight in a mild water/bleach solutiuon. Disassemble and clean all connections and soak O-ring.

If it's a root beer smell, replace the o-ring, or plan on soaking in a strong bleach solution for about three weeks.

Soda bottlers have dediocated root beer lines to avoid cross contaminating other equipment.

I always ask my keg supplier to make sure not to send me any root beer kegs.

+ 1 for OxiClean, too.

And replace the o-rings. That is where the smell/taste will reside once the corny itself is clean. Hard to get it out of the seals.

I use Borax - you can find it in the laundry aisle. It has a mild bleaching action and is a pretty good deoderizer. I just dump 1/2 cup or so in and fill it up and let it sit for a couple of days. This is of course after giving it a VERY thorough rinse beforehand.

We once broke a glass milk bottle in our car during winter. We did the best we could to clean it up. Well once the weather warmed the car developed a fine aroma.:drunk: Borax was what finally cleared up the smell.

Latest posts

Back