How do you get a beer in the NHC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I want to get into competition brewing not for ribbons but to have my beer critiqued and just for the fun of it..I really want to get into the next NHC how do you go about entering into this comp? probably a very obvious answer..excuse me

There are a ton of competitions that you can get feedback from as well. BJCP Competitions by State
You don't have to be a resident of the state for most of them.
I'd be willing to bet that there is a judge somewhere decently close to you that would be willing to give you feedback as well.

Here is the information page for this past years NHC.... usually around January/February is when initial registration takes place. It is a two round competition with regional comps first and the top 3 in each category advancing. You have to be an AHA member.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/dates-deadlines/
If you are honestly looking for "feedback" from comps.... you would be better served to check out the link in the previous post and enter some of those competitions. NHC costs twice as much as other comps, takes longer to get results back and the scoresheets are not the greatest in regard to feedback. NHC really is a lot more about "winning" than it is about getting feedback.

I want to get into competition brewing not for ribbons but to have my beer critiqued and just for the fun of it..I really want to get into the next NHC how do you go about entering into this comp? probably a very obvious answer..excuse me

Ribbons (well, medals really) are why I compete in NHC though. Just about every other competition I've entered has been for the fun of it. But not NHC.

To each their own; just sayin' NHC isn't where I'd look if trying to get into competing for fun. But others have covered the many alternatives.

Cheers--
Michael

Ribbons (well, medals really) are why I compete in NHC though. Just about every other competition I've entered has been for the fun of it. But not NHC.

To each their own; just sayin' NHC isn't where I'd look if trying to get into competing for fun. But others have covered the many alternatives.

Cheers--
Michael

No one likes a showoff...Congrats on the Cider and Mead medals this year.

In all seriousness, I feel you get better feedback at other competitions that use full written out scoresheets. The checkbox scoresheets NHC uses are next to worthless from a feedback standpoint IMO.

Cheers--
Michael
a medal and a ribbon are no different to me like i said its about fun ..and to me entering a beer into NHC seems like it be a whole lot of fun..plus probably meet alot of cool people there like Denny,Jamil,palmer ect but like you said to each their own cheers

Are you currently in a home brew club? If not, I'd look into that as well....maybe first thing. They are worth joining in my opinion as you can get some great feedback by just bringing some home brew to a meeting. Chances are too, the clubs you look into have their own competitions where you could get the chance to sit in on some judging.

I've been told by some of my club members, entering in some of the competitions are the best way to get honest unbiased feedback on your beers and participating in the judging is a great way to better refine your palette.

I've just entered three of my beers in an up coming competition (my second since joining my club). My club also does an annual competition and I've thought about seeing if I can help with the judging this year, depending on my work schedule at that time. I had a black IPA do very well last year.

+1 on joining a club, you'll be able to get good feedback there. And also +1 on other competitions instead of the NHC. I'm a BJCP judge, and I'll tell you, the forms for the NHC are NOT designed for giving feedback. It's mostly just checking boxes. The standard form, which is used for most other (all BJCP/AHA sanctioned) competitions, is designed specifically for giving feedback. I strongly recommend looking at the link above and find a smaller local competition. That and a local club are your best bet for feedback. Cheers.

a medal and a ribbon are no different to me like i said its about fun ..and to me entering a beer into NHC seems like it be a whole lot of fun..plus probably meet alot of cool people there like Denny,Jamil,palmer ect but like you said to each their own cheers

Sure, there are lots of fun people at the NHC, the Homebrew Conference (Homebrew Con) and you'd need all of the good guys for sure.

Entering the competition is a whole different thing though- you send beer, and it's judged. You don't go anywhere, and you don't meet anyone. You get back some score sheets, but they are quickly done and not all that helpful for feedback.

Other BJCP competitions have lower entrance fees in general, and provide great feedback on the scoresheets. I'm judging the Indiana Brewer's Cup (Indiana State Fair) this weekend, and plan on working hard to provide quality scoresheets and feedback.

Going to the Homebrew Con (n 2018 it's in Portland, OR) is a blast and you can definitely hang with Jamil, Denny, Tasty, et al. I don't enter that competition any more due to the timing of when the entries are due, but I try to judge it every year.

Back