How do you clean a stove after boil over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
My wife says she has been scrubbing all day. Must be using the wrong chemical or something. What is the fastest method?

I use a lysol solution on every mess in the kitchen. I've only had one boil over and it worked great for me. It also helps to clean the boil over right away before it has a chance to dry up.

HOT water and a sponge. That's all you need. What you have with a boil over is a melted sugar solution. It's like trying to cleanup dried maple syrup.

I have tried all of the above and I can't get them to get this sh*t off my stove. Given, mine has been cooked on now, but I was wondering- could I pour some oxyclean solution on it and let it soak?

First try hot water.
That doesn't work? Oxyclean and hot water.
That doesn't work? Comet.
That doesn't work? Razorblade.
That doesn't work? New stove. ;)

Gotta say you have a pretty understanding wife if you made the mess and she's trying to clean it! :)

I wonder if a solution of PBW and hot water would work? Maybe soak with it?

PBW or Oxiclean. Be careful though, not too strong depending on the type of stovetop.

I'd be surprised if that didn't work.

Been there done that. I don't know if this will help you but here is what I do...

I have a gas stove with the removable cast iron grates and spill shields. If this is what you have, put them in the oven and set it to self clean. It will turn all of the burnt on sugar to ash.

Phase I - Krud Kutter (a pretty good all purpose cleaner that makes a good effort at the sticky stuff that isn't quite burnt)

Phase II - Bar Keeper's Friend. I swear by that stuff as it works good on the new stove without scratching, as well as doing a good job on the aluminum and SS pots.

I suppose if you don't want to spend the $$ on the BKP, you could always use baking soda and a bit of vinegar, then scrub with one of those multi-surface scrubbie things.

If its a flat top, Ceramabrite or equivalent is the product designed for the task. I use it for cooking related boilovers and it works great.

Barkeeper's friend or Bon Ami (same thing) has always worked for me no matter how baked on it is. Mix it pretty thick with water, slap it on and wait a few minutes. Then scrub.

I just tell the wife to get in there and clean that mess!!!

We use just soap and HOT water... Add in a little elbow grease and its all good...

I had a boil over during my first brew. It happened right after the first hops addition. My stove is ceramic top. The wort burned and became hard as a lollipop. It was about an eight of an inch thick. I used a razor widget and had the stove clean in about 10 minutes.

I had a boil over during my first brew. It happened right after the first hops addition. My stove is ceramic top. The wort burned and became hard as a lollipop. It was about an eight of an inch thick. I used a razor widget and had the stove clean in about 10 minutes.

Try a nuclear bomb...

The solution of course is two fold: if you have to/ are allowed to brew beer in the house, clean up the spill immediately. Don't let it dry. The second fold, and waaaaayyyyy better solution, if possible, is to brew in your own space. I have a full setup outside (my life is more pleasant if I don't brew in the kitchen, as I expect yours may be in the future). I use the side burner on the grill and the turkey-frying propane burner.

Those burners and and outdoor table and sink (with hot water), and of course the old fridge-come-kegerator, means I never piss off my partner while brewing. Of course living in Key West means my outdoor brewing can operate all year long. But if you have a garage or a shed, do yourself, and your partner, a favor and create your own brewing space. Believe me, it's worth it.

- Home Brewing in Key West

I have some serious burned on wort. I have a metal stovetop with coil heating elements.

I have tried oxyclean and it works if it has only been cooked over once or twice. The more times you heat up the stove the worse it seems to get. I bought some stove/oven cleaner at the grocery store. Together with a stovetop scrubbing pad it has gotten about half off.

I have not tried comet or baking soda and vinegar or the mr clean eraser. Those may all be helpful options.

The one thing that works 100% but is very time consuming and laborious: razor blade. Be gentle and keep the blade as close to flat as you can and you shouldn't scratch the paint.

Pbw or oxyclean work for me. For the burned on wort i spray hot water on it then sprinkle oxyclean on it. The higher concentration and like 15 20 minutes of soaking work for me.

First of 2 boilovers came off with boiled water, straight edge plastic thingy (pampered chef I think), and Mr. Clean Magic eraser... second, I risked my hand with the thought of the work it took the first time and wiped it off at all cost before it was able to set!

Good luck 3 days bartenders friend, baking soda water mix, razor blade.... now I have to brew in garage. Lol

If your stove is ceramic-top you need an "Earthstone Kitchenstone":

https://www.amazon.com/EarthStone-K...argid=aud-467077737785:pla-308011181019&psc=1

Takes anything off no matter what it is. Only works for ceramic-top stoves though. I found it in BB&B as well as our local Kroger (in addition to Amazon). It doesn't scratch and I've never found anything it couldn't remove. It cleaned the rust and deposits off of my mother's tub as well (she was very happy). Amazing product.

My wife says she has been scrubbing all day. Must be using the wrong chemical or something. What is the fastest method?

Got this mess cleaned up by covering with baking powder, then pourring on vinegar. Leave it for a couple of minutes then scrape with a wooden spatula then repeat once or twice more.

Attachments

• BDB41AF0-FBE8-4D94-AF07-4E276B9A20B0.jpeg
    BDB41AF0-FBE8-4D94-AF07-4E276B9A20B0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Back