how do they do it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeCollegeStudent

Reaction score
Hey, i was just wondering if you guys knew how to brew non-alky beer.... Its not that im going to, but i was just wondering how AB does o'doules or whatever and miller does sharp. Is it something to do with the yeast?

I'd much rather have a soda than a brew if I'm not looking to get drunk. Show me how to make a non-alcoholic Captain & Coke, or a lower-alcohol bourbon that tastes like Maker's Mark.

SteveM said:
It's like a bull without testicles. It can exist but it misses the essential point of the thing.

I don't know about that--I rarely, rarely drink more than a few pints because I don't usually like getting more than a buzz, but I absolutely love beer. I'm going to try making some non-alcoholic beer because there are plenty of times where I'd love a beer, but have to drive or whatever. To me, making the beer and tasting it is really the point, not the alcohol (though obviously I'm not anti-alcohol, just sayin'.)

You guys are awfully negative - here is a college student who actually wants to brew beer for the taste instead of the buzz. Give 'em a break!

Reference a post from a while back about a guy with a father who couldn't have alcohol anymore due to a medical condition. He still liked beer - so why not brew one with little to no alcohol? There are sound reasons to do it, let's give him a hand instead of making fun!

Do you think it effects the flavor by reducing the alcohol so much? I always the alcohol was key to the flavor, especially when aging a good beer.. or wine.

Well, it certainly can- for some brews, (the heavy ones particularly), the "heat" and even, perhaps, the sweetness of the alky is absolutely essential to the taste of the style.

For others, (like maybe a Boddington's or something like that?) the alcohol taste isn't as important to the overall profile. What I'd do, actually, is check the BJCP style guidelines, and read through, to see which beers should NOT have a prominent alcohol taste.

Brew on, my Dorm-Dwelling friend!

True - I should not have piled on. On the other hand, I have nothing whatever to pass along about brewing alcohol-free beer. Even the best of them (there are some fairly decent German ones) don't taste good to me, so I would not even attempt it.

Things have changed a lot since I was in college, I will admit.

Yuri_Rage said:
You guys are awfully negative - here is a college student who actually wants to brew beer for the taste instead of the buzz. Give 'em a break!

I have a feeling people are getting him confussed with out last college student who's sole purpose of comming here was to try and make hooch

Cheesefood said:
Just be careful. That's a lot of fermentable sugars to have sitting in your gut. I hope you're not a smoker.

Everything should be fermented out. You are merely baking off the resultant alcohol after the fact.

Yes it would be good if you could get good tasting Non Alcholic Beer.

BUT YOU CAN'T.

For one. It's not beer if it's not got alchohol and the immitation beer they make doesn't taste good. Soda from pubs is expensive and crap so If Id don't have beer or wine, it's coffee and water maybe with a dash of lime and ice.

Yes I know. I'm and EAC and a beersnob. I don't care.

Back