How do I store my extra dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel

Reaction score
I have a 500-gram package of WB-06. When I open it to make a 1-gallon brew could I store the rest of it in a mason jar on a shelf? This is how I store my bread yeast. Sometimes I put the jar in the freezer but not sure if that's necessary. What's the best way to store the yeast for quick access to it for the next batch?

I do not have a vacuum sealer

Without a vacuum sealer Mason jar in the fridge would probably be the best. That's a lot if yeast! How long do you plan on keeping it?

Without a vacuum sealer Mason jar in the fridge would probably be the best. That's a lot if yeast! How long do you plan on keeping it?

I would have poured it and filled a mason jar to the rim to reduce oxygen exposure. Then kept the rest in a mason jar even if it didn't fill the bottle

As long as it takes to finish or it stops working lol

usually I would recommend to read the manufacturer's website, but this is clearly not true that it can only be opened once, and should be discarded after one week!

"For the 500g sachets, we don’t recommend to re-use open sachet. However, for a sachet where the air has been flushed and firmly closed, we have experienced that the sachet can be stored for one week in a refrigeration temperatures and still be fine for use. Be aware that after storage, the yeast sachet need to be kept at ambient temperature until the yeast comes back at ambient temperature.

This process works only one time. Indeed, when you take the sachet out of the fridge and come back to ambient temperature, you will have some humidity formed by the change that you won’t be able to remove. Humidity is the second enemy of active dry yeast, after the air."

their comment about humidity is valid; you don't want to open a cold container of yeast in a warm humid room because ambient moisture will condense

same principles used in seed saving. Let it warm to room temperature before opening

Perhaps it would be wise to measure out single "packets" into individual baggies? They sell little ziploc baggies in tiny sizes. I would prepare a very clean space to do the measuring, with still air, and work swiftly. 10g is 50 packs, 20g (double pitch) is only 25 packs, right? :)

I don't know how they can post such nonsense with a straight face
I listened to a couple of Fermentis / Lallemand video conferences last year. I was left with the impression that some of the advice is intended to help "make the best beer possible with no compromises". Which is ok ...

... as it can give us some flexibility to "break rules" while home brewing. :)

I don't know how they can post such nonsense with a straight face

It makes sense to me. Those big packs are marketed to professional breweries. The slight risk a beer won't ferment as expected may be acceptable to a homebrewer but pros have a much smaller risk tolerance.

Fermentis is basically saying you accept the risk if you don't use the package as designed. Then they give you some info so you can make your own decision.

i just pitched a partial pack of Lallamond Voss. I folded over the package, put in snack zip lock and back in the fridge. I did let it warm up and it is very humid in Florida. I even dunked the package in Starsan before opening. Does all this mean the remaining yeast is probably bad?

i just pitched a partial pack of Lallamond Voss. I folded over the package, put in snack zip lock and back in the fridge. I did let it warm up and it is very humid in Florida. I even dunked the package in Starsan before opening. Does all this mean the remaining yeast is probably bad?
Probably not, it is Kviek yeast which has proved highly robust for a long, long time. I'd do a starter when you want to use it next and maybe have a fresh packet on standby, but it should be fine.

Back