How do I operate this PRV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
08D4710C-1CB2-43C2-A167-64BF6B0CC9AB.jpeg

I ordered a used keg and it was delivered today. I’ve never seen a PRV like this and google shows it would be for pin lock, which I do not have. My ball lock disconnects do attach to the posts (the liquid is a bit of a struggle) and the posts do appear close to my other kegs. But how the heck do I use the release? Just buy a new lid?

Yes, that's a pinlock style lid. That PRV cannot be operated manually. If you want to relieve pressure, you use a screwdriver or other makeshift tool to depress the poppet on the gas post. That requires the quick disconnect to not be connected at the time, which can be a PITA. Personally, I would replace the lid.

Yeah, that’s a pin lock lid. You don’t ”operate” the PRV, it’s just a safety valve that has a sealing disc which ruptures at a certain pressure. You can buy universal PRVs that install like a weldless adapter in the lid or just buy a lid with a PRV.

Alrighty then, thanks guys. I’ll just buy a new lid. Maybe the posts were converted at one point and the lid just stayed the same. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. I’d rather not deal with it

Alrighty then, thanks guys. I’ll just buy a new lid. Maybe the posts were converted at one point and the lid just stayed the same. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. I’d rather not deal with it
Is this keg the same size, physically, as your other ball locks? If it’s a converted pin lock it will be shorter, by about 3 inches, and about an inch larger in diameter.

Edit- looking at the pic in the OP it looks like a converted pin lock. The posts are at 1:00 and 11:00. Most ball locks have the posts at 9 and 3. I have some of each and that’s how the posts on both types are configured.

Is this keg the same size, physically, as your other ball locks? If it’s a converted pin lock it will be shorter, by about 3 inches, and about an inch larger in diameter.

Edit- looking at the pic in the OP it looks like a converted pin lock. The posts are at 1:00 and 11:00. Most ball locks have the posts at 9 and 3. I have some of each and that’s how the posts on both types are configured.
Good observation. You're correct. It's one of those 'low profile' kegs from AIH and I went back to the site and it does state that many of these kegs are showing up as converted pin locks. Besides replacing the lid, do I need any extra hardware?

I'd let it be. ;)

I have a few original ball lock kegs (posts being on opposite sides) but they came with those pin-lock lids having the PRV under the dome.
To vent, I just use a loose gas QD, or push the poppet down with a nail-set tool or a screwdriver. It's really not a big hassle in the whole scheme of things.

Back