how do I make it sweeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkidwell83

Reaction score
I have a beer that became ready to drink yesterday. I am pretty happy with the outcome of my first pm but i would like to make it a little sweeter in the front. how can i accomplish this without altering the entire tatse of the beer?

Well, depends on the beer type. If it's a stout or a fruit beer or something you can always add some lactose, it's non fermentable and makes it creamier.

You are right on again Damn Squirrels! But I miss your avatar.

If you end up with a higher FG, your brew will typically be sweeter. This can be accomplished by mashing grains at a higher temp or having a low abv tolerant yeast strain.

Yeast is probably the best place to look. On white labs site the descriptions of yeast include things like "will leave some residual sweetness" like on the english ale yeast.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html
Since you are looking to fine tune a brew, that is good. That is a good way to explore the differences that subtle changes like a different yeast can make.

Lactose with not ferment and make a beer sweeter. Often used in milk/sweet stouts.
Caramel/crystal malts will also add some sweetness and body.
Reducing the bittering hops will make the beer seem sweeter.
Craig

Back