how do i know if my cider turned into vinegar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termeric

Reaction score
Hello,

i have 10 gallons of cider that have been sitting in my closet since January, in 2 5 gallon glass carboys. for the vast majority of the time they have been sealed up, but i have gone in there a few times with the wine thief to see what was going on.

however, now there is this ring of white crud that's developing around the top of the liquid. is this bad? (was that a dumb question?) i'm not sure if this means that its ruined, or turned into vinegar, or what. any thoughts?

thanks,

If it's turned to vinegar you will smell and taste it. Even if you get an "off" smell, I would still go ahead and taste it. Sometimes smells are deceiving and since nothing in there will hurt you, make sure to give it a taste too.

Is it a really heavy ring of crud or is it just a slight glaze. I get a white glaze on some of mine at times but it isn't a problem. If it looks kind of slimy it might be the "mother " of vinegar. Like Nurmey says....don't get rid of it without tasting it.

Yep, best way to find out if it's turned to vinegar it to taste it. Unfortunately, vinegar is highly poisonous so you'll most likely die in the attempt.

:D

dont toss it if its vinegar. Bottle it and put it in the fridge at your next party, with a BMC label on it.

Is it a really heavy ring of crud or is it just a slight glaze. I get a white glaze on some of mine at times but it isn't a problem. If it looks kind of slimy it might be the "mother " of vinegar. Like Nurmey says....don't get rid of it without tasting it.

its just a slight white ring around the top.

Latest posts

Back