Oat vinegar, oat wine or neither?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Experimental Geni

Reaction score
Hello, I'm quite new and know nothing about alcoholic beverage making. I just like conducting experiments for fun and to gain a better understanding.

I had made oat milk by taking a cup of oats and a cup of water blending it and straining it. I then added 3tbs of raw honey. I then let it ferment for one week before using it. After 3 weeks the mixture started to smell like apple cider vinegar and I wondered what would happen if I left it. Would a mother develop. I decided not to add air to the mixture and kept it sealed checking it once every 2 to 3 months to limit air exposure.

I started it in November 2021 it is now May 2022 and the liquid is now clear very light yellow color and all the white particles settle and clumped together at the bottom. Ot smells like sweet wine with a hint of ACV. I want to taste the contents because it smells so good but I can no longer open it.
Can anyone tell me what this is. Is it oat vinegar, wine, or just fermented oats? Could I still use it in my hair if it's not vinegar?

Could I still use it in my hair if it's not vinegar?

i'd definitely want to at least pasteurize it first?

but if you ever pop back in, let me know what you ended up doing with it. i never even would have through of putting oat milk in my hair, none less fermented oat milk!

For vinegar you need oxygen. Since you sealed it, you have indeed fermented oat milk. Since no other traces seem to have developed like a pellicle, ropes or mould, it would seem you have a perfectly uncontaminated drink.

I think using it now in your hair makes as much sense as using any other aged fermented beverage in your hair.

For vinegar you need oxygen. Since you sealed it, you have indeed fermented oat milk. Since no other traces seem to have developed like a pellicle, ropes or mould, it would seem you have a perfectly uncontaminated drink.

I think using it now in your hair makes as much sense as using any other aged fermented beverage in your hair.
Thank you so much for that information it was indeed very helpful.
I use fermented rice water for my skin and hair. It keeps it extremely thick, long, pliable, soft and shiny. It has also cleared my skin conditions like dandruff and psoriasis. I have found fermented oat milk keeps my hair softer for longer and heals cut in my skin faster. It also heals insects bites in a about 5-25 minutes no trace is left and immediately it stops the itching.
But it smells so good I really wanted to know if I could drink it because I have not heard of anyone else doing this.

Latest posts

Back