How do I get a yeast strain named after me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start selectively culturing and fire up your brewpot? Not all mutations are bad...

Dunno....get a really bad infection and have it turn out perfect, save a sample and replicate it?

Oops! Forgot the most important part....Win the NHC and Homebrewer of the year with the beers you've made with it.

Buy tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialized equipment. Develop a strain that is unique and spend another few hundred thousand dollars to market it. :D

Good luck!

Or know someone in a high position at Wyeast, White Labs, or one of the other major producers. :rockin:

I'd suggest capturing a wild yeast that makes good beer (will take a lot of time and experiments) then try to plate it and build up a specific colonly of yeast. Then just start calling it yours. As you use it, you can cull out batches that taste better, or attenuate better, and breed from those, creating a strain that does what you want, with lots of small batch experiments and lots of time.

Hummers for the White brothers? (don't know if they're into that sort of thing)

From Wyeast:

YEAST STRAIN: 1450 | Denny's Favorite 50

This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

He's this cool guy: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/Denny

He could tell you how it came about. I never thought to ask, but I'd be interested in hearing the story!

If you really want a yeast named after you, you could go the opposite route and just name your first born "WLP001", "Roeselare", or "BugFarm V".

Back