How do I flavour my mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hreidarr

Reaction score
IImade my first ever batch of mead and I wanted to give my mead an interesting, kind of smokey/woody taste, and I was wondering if adding some charred Oak in a cheesecloth would be enough or whether I actually have to age it in a barrel.
Problem is I'm strapped for cash so I wanted to know if there are any other ways apart from a barrel.

Definitely don't need a barrel. Depending on the size of you brew, oak chips are fine. Oak dominoes or spirals are probably better. A couple of weeks before bottling will usually do you fine

Definitely don't need a barrel. Depending on the size of you brew, oak chips are fine. Oak dominoes or spirals are probably better. A couple of weeks before bottling will usually do you fine
It's really small, 1litre, as it was my first time. Also, should the oak chips be charred?

Thanks, should the oak be charred?

Depends on your taste. I've really only tried medium oak. I would try a little just before you bottle. I've enjoyed 1/8 ounce for two weeks before bottling. I've also had 1/3 ounce in a low ABV for two weeks as well.

Use oak cubes intended for wine. Don't just add something from your BBQ wood pile.

They call it "toast" not charred. There's different toast levels and different varieties - American, French, and Hungarian oak. Preparing the wood for wine flavoring is a science and not something you want to try yourself.

Last edited:
Back