How do I do a second starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfranks22

Reaction score
I’ve used Mr. Malty’s starter calculator and have discovered I need a second starter. The calculater says I need to use 101 grams of DME in my initial 1 liter starter. The calculator says I need 2 liters for my second. Does that mean I should use 202 grams of DME, or do I stick with 101?

Correct, it is 101 grams per 1 liter. So the second step should be 202g for 2 liters.

Your math seems right, Mr. Malty seems wrong. What kind of beer are you making that really requires a 2 liter starter?

Your math seems right, Mr. Malty seems wrong. What kind of beer are you making that really requires a 2 liter starter?

2 liters is not out of the question, depending on yeast age and starter method. Not everyone uses brand new yeast with a stir plate.

OP, allow me to introduce you to a different calculator. I dig this one because it accounts for your maximum vessel size, it works on common 500ml divisions (great if you pressure can starter wort), allows overbuilding calculations and shows you right up front whether you need multiple steps. You may want to give a read on some of the questions answered on that page, it's enlightening.

[...]What kind of beer are you making that really requires a 2 liter starter?

fwiw, not everyone does 5 gallon batches :)
At 10 gallons even my lightest ales need at least a 2 liter starter, and the lagers need twice that.
A 5 liter e-flask is a blessing for those...

Cheers!

fwiw, not everyone does 5 gallon batches :)
At 10 gallons even my lightest ales need at least a 2 liter starter, and the lagers need twice that.
A 5 liter e-flask is a blessing for those...

Cheers!
No, they don't require a big starter. A big starter is just a way to reduce the lag time. With proper conditions your 10 gallons would do just fine with a much smaller starter. Gordon Strong has said that he often does a lager with just one smack pack but you seem to need way more. Why?

[shrug]
I go by the guidance provided by any of the popular pitch rate calculators, which apparently haven't heard of Gordon Strong...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back