How do I clean this keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I had someone convert a keggle for me. They mad a huge mess. I need to grind down the hold for the valve. Also I have all this black stuff stuck on the inside of the keg. The picture doesn't show how truly bad it is. I tried Barkeepers Friend. Its like hardened specks of metal possibly. I also used a pressure washer.

2394986380091430457S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'd try a PBW soak for a few days. If it's organic matter, it will (hopefully) eat through it. If not, at least you'll have a better idea what you're dealing with.

Sounds like they used a plasma cutter to cut the top out without any water in the keg. You may have to get in there with a green scrubby and see it comes off any better.

You could also try boiling some water in it, and seeing if the water changes color or if any of it comes out. When it's warm/hot it might come off easier as well.

Whatever you do, don't use steel wool or a wire brush because that will embed steel particles that will make your keg rust.

If it's not organic, I had a similar problem. You can use a stainless wire wheel on a drill or grinder. Make sure you haven't used it on anything but stainless. You can buff it out using the technique for polishing the kegs to get the majority of scratches out. After you use anything destructive on the surface, make a paste out of Bar Keepr's Friend and scrub the bajeebus out of the area you cleaned to re passivate it. Since this is on the hot side, it is much more forgiving with the scratches. Luck - Dwain

Anyone know if plasma cuttings have any contamination or health risks when brewing, if I can't get them off?

Doesn't seem like boiling is working. I am going to try Dwain's idea tomorrow. I also, put in vinegar, salt, and dawn while boiling.

One more thing, after you passivate it with BKF, don't use it for a couple of days. Let us know how it turns out. Luck - Dwain

Yep... that's Plasma slag. They should have filled the keg with water....

To remove: Get a STAINLESS STEEL brush and use by hand or a round S/S wheel brush and attach to your drill. Sometimes that slag is not easy to remove.

Matt

Well I got it removed with a sander and an angle grinder. It was a pain. Next time I will just do it myself, and do a weldless valve. I still need to get the inside of the valve. I will buy something for a dremel tool.

Back