How do I be a bad neighbor, without actually being a bad neighbor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get mad - get even!

This is the plan, although I haven't succeeded very well at keeping my cool. The dog is like 19 years old so I'll leave him out of it, after all it isn't the dogs fault the owner is an ass. I'm going to take the advice of some and tell (not ask) him to start picking up after his dog. Regardless of his reaction, I will remind him that the eve of his garage and downspout are 18" over my property line and draining directly onto my property (both of which are code violations, and if I choose to I can force him to reconstruct his garage) so he knows how hard I can legally play. If the dog waste problem persists, I'll ramp up my antics as one final shot across the bow before I call my surveyor and Lawyer.

@Dland I'm in zone 5b, Eastern Nebraska. We've been talking about installing some Columnar Oaks/tall native grasses along our fence to block them out but bamboo might be interesting, though installing a root barrier seems like more work than I want to take on at this time of year. Cheers!

how do the hipsters mow their grass? If they are outside smoking weed, well there you go, that might cause any number of people to phone the police.
when I had a dog I didn’t let it crap anywhere but my yard and our town has a clean it up code. Ring cameras.

how do the hipsters mow their grass?

Ring cameras.

They use an electric mower and shave it damn near to the roots. Nothing quite like watching someone ruin an expensive 3 year lawn restoration in 2 months!

I like the Ring idea, I want to get get video to be able to use against him if need be, but also for security reasons.

As for the smoking, plenty of our other friends/neighbors smoke and it doesn't bother us or most of our other neighbors so I definitely don't want to get the reputation of a narc.

@Dland I'm in zone 5b, Eastern Nebraska. We've been talking about installing some Columnar Oaks/tall native grasses along our fence to block them out but bamboo might be interesting, though installing a root barrier seems like more work than I want to take on at this time of year. Cheers!

I agree, bamboo won't do much for you in that cold. I'd go with some evergreen along fence line. I guess the conventional choice would be one of the arborvites that slows way down after it gets 15-20 feet, if you don't have a lot of room and don't want to eventually block too much light.

I went with UniFi hard wired security cameras, running on an old PC. I like the fact it is true closed circuit and not relient on interwebs at all, but program can be set up to be able to be accessed remotely.

There are parts of the country where someone with snow removal equipment might be able to considerably inconvenience someone who did not have any, without breaking any laws, if one did not feel like being neighborly....

They use an electric mower and shave it damn near to the roots. Nothing quite like watching someone ruin an expensive 3 year lawn restoration in 2 months!

I like the Ring idea, I want to get get video to be able to use against him if need be, but also for security reasons.

As for the smoking, plenty of our other friends/neighbors smoke and it doesn't bother us or most of our other neighbors so I definitely don't want to get the reputation of a narc.
Yeah, I hear that. I really don’t understand people with such low EQ that they would start bitching to a neighbor right off the bat. Sounds like they didn’t research the community or perhaps just feel entitled and didn’t care to. They might fit in better in Iowa. ;)

I work in the coal fired power plant industry, we love people with electric powered cars, lawn mowers, etc., because it uses electricity instead of gasoline. It's entertaining listening to the people who think that they are saving the environment by using electricity to power their cars & lawn mowers. As for the windmill farms, when the wind isn't blowing the nearby coal/oil fired power plant is making up the difference to sustain the megawatt output to the grid.

I would go the code route if the problem persists. Just had a issue with a new neighbor. I went the code route, he was pissed beyond words. The hearing judge reminded him and his lawyer that the law was for everyone equally. Lawyer pissed beyond words.
That action was taken after friendly words and a copy of the code book provided by me failed.
Eric

It's entertaining listening to the people who think that they are saving the environment by using electricity to power their cars & lawn mowers. As for the windmill farms, when the wind isn't blowing the nearby coal/oil fired power plant is making up the difference to sustain the megawatt output to the grid.

Even if the grid was powered 100% by coal (which it isn’t) an electric vehicle still has a greater ‘well to wheel‘ energy efficiency then gas or diesel cars. In addition the cost of the power is much lower, in my case, 1/5th price of gas. Those with solar are driving essentially free. Anyway.. I thank you for what you do, together with EV drivers, to make the environment just a little better.

I know mostly this was a rant, and sometimes we need to get it out of our system in lieu of doing something stupid.

The new yahoos will soon turn off everyone else in the neighborhood and they'll be isolated. I've known people like that--if you don't interpret reality their way, you're just wrong.

IMO, your best bet is to just put them on "ignore." Being a "bad" neighbor back at them isn't going to do much except allow for things to escalate, and as a businessperson, you cannot get that reputation.

If the dog craps on the sidewalk again and you have either a hose or pressure washer, wash it back into their yard. Sidewalks aren't toilets; they're for walking. But for the most part, if I were you, I'd just ignore them. People like that don't tend to change, and if interacting with them makes your blood pressure rise, then the answer is don't.

Even if the grid was powered 100% by coal (which it isn’t) an electric vehicle still has a greater ‘well to wheel‘ energy efficiency then gas or diesel cars. In addition the cost of the power is much lower, in my case, 1/5th price of gas. Those with solar are driving essentially free. Anyway.. I thank you for what you do, together with EV drivers, to make the environment just a little better.

I couldn't agree more. As soon as the technology is good enough for me to mow my ~120 acres a week with a reasonable amount of batteries I'm 100% on board. Until then, I'll keep spending ~$4,000 a season on Diesel and Premium..

I'm with you there, I just went with a Sthil electric tool array for my garden-small lawn crew. If there was a viable electric alternative to the 23 HP Kawis on my main mowing machines, I'd get them as soon as economically feasible.

We use our electric chain saws & pole saws now for most trimming, but alas, they are not up to any serious tree work, chipping operations. Quick, and light is nice, and quite is great. Also goes down well with customers, not to mention not attracting nosy neighbors.

Of course it does, LOL, but cell phones gotta be worse, let alone WIFI, computers and 4/5G. {;

Seriously though, I have an EM meter ( I do yard maint at radio/cell complex, the new local main power transmissions lines along the main road are much worse than the antenna arrays, at least on the ground), electric motors aren't that bad.

I had a PITA Psycho neighbor that caused all kinds of problems and her dog used to poop in my back yard where my small kids (at the time) used to play. I mostly ignored her, but I would make daily rounds early in the morning before work and any poop was scooped up with a spade shovel and flung over the bushes into her backyard. The activity somewhat therapeutic, there was no confrontation and the problem was solved.
Life's too short to worry about d-bags.

Going to battle with a neighbor never works out well for either party. Unfortunately I inherited a feud with one after moving into my house. Come to find out the seller and neighbor had been at each other’s throat since the house was built. Anyway, I’d just take some beer over with you and work it out. Even if you only agree on one thing, you’ll still be better off then at war.
Just make sure the beer is organic, you composted the grains and used pure water from your own spring in the backyard.

Go to COSTCO or wherever and get a BIG container of cayenne pepper. That area out where Fido likes to take a dump, sprinkle it down with that cayenne. A nose full of that and he'll not be back. May never see the little thing again, ever.

You can always tell the neighbors you were trying a new organic weed killer.

Also, tossing a pair of panties into the guys car could be entertaining. Something made with natural hemp fibers. His woman may not fall for something lacy from Victoria's Secret. He's probably not that kind of guy.

what kind of car do they drive? If possible, accidentally pour a bottle of fish sauce where it will drain and cook onto the engine block. They'll smell stinky fish for months. Especially if it aerosolizes through the air intakes.

If you happen to have his contact info...

Post a Craigslist add for free 50lb bags of dogfood or other random free crap.

Sign him up for hairclub for men, weighwatchers or any other infomercial crap.

Not to be mean OP, but it seems like you need to be more direct with them. "Saying whatever" and "Letting it roll off you back" doesnt work with some people.

I would walk over there one evening, and just talk to them. See what they say. Air your grievances. Explain your point of view. Hear their point of view. And be direct about it. I err on the side of telling more than asking. Maybe some good can come of it.

If not, f'em. Do you. What are they going to do?

Not to be mean OP, but it seems like you need to be more direct with them. "Saying whatever" and "Letting it roll off you back" doesnt work with some people.

I would walk over there one evening, and just talk to them. See what they say. Air your grievances. Explain your point of view. Hear their point of view. And be direct about it. I err on the side of telling more than asking. Maybe some good can come of it.

If not, f'em. Do you. What are they going to do?

MMP126 is right.

Some people have never been neighbors. Might be a teaching moment. Both of you may learn something, good or bad.

Also, if they are getting under your skin most likely they'll get under your fellow neighbors skin too eventually.

Any update?

No update as of yet. I'm waiting to catch him in the act. Even though he's already admitted to it I don't want him to try and deny his way out of it. For the time being I'm just shoveling the dog piles right into his yard, tossing them close and closer to their front door each time.

As much fun as it would be to f**k with him and be a bad neighbor right back to him, I'm just going to spell it out real clearly for him and draw pictures in crayons if need be.

Well here it is, fellow citizens of homebrew town. I'm dredging up this post with a heavy heart to share the anticlimactic ending to what thankfully did not escalate to the Hatfield and McCoy realm. My hippy neighbors' dog has died. As much as I hated feeling disrespected and having dog doo splattered on me, stuck to my shoe and smashed into my mowers tires I do not wish the loss of a loved one on anyone. In my 32 years I've lost two of my very best friends. One stood tall on two legs and the other always loyally by my side and eager to work, on four. They're both deeply missed and thought of every day.

The hipsters are distraught and I do feel bad, even though, in a very selfish way my 'problem' has been solved. Homebrew will be shared, bread will be broken, fences mended, axes buried and I will feel guilty about this post. If and when they get a new dog I will be more prepared to address the issue before it becomes one. But, in the meantime I will continue to focus on being a good friend and neighbor and be glad I didn't act out of anger.

As amusing as it was reading this thread, glad you didn't get into a neighbor war. We almost did, only things were partially reversed. We had just moved in, put up a fence for an above ground pool. The day we rented an auger was the day we met FOUR neighbors, at least one of which was invited to our housewarming party but didn't come. All said I "could not" put up a fence, one threatened to call her lawyer. I did my homework though, got a permit, and of the THREE different reasons I heard for why I could not, only one had any shred of truth. The most amusing reason I was told I could not build was that the city, the same city that issued me a fence permit, would not let me build as our area was a "natural area" and fences weren't allowed because they'd "restrict the deer"... I contacted a lawyer who confirmed my homework on our ability to build a fence. I never heard back from any of the other neighbors. And yes, all of them just said I couldn't have a fence, nobody listed any concerns such as looks or property values, they all just said we could not build one. Anyway, I'm glad nothing else came of that, and hopefully your neighbors are better in the future.

Ironically I also use an electric mower, but I don't mow to the roots and don't use it for "no emissions". I use it because it's delightfully quiet, vibration free, and one less small engine to maintain. But the technology isn't there for a lawn care business yet.

As amusing as it was reading this thread, glad you didn't get into a neighbor war. We almost did, only things were partially reversed. We had just moved in, put up a fence for an above ground pool. The day we rented an auger was the day we met FOUR neighbors, at least one of which was invited to our housewarming party but didn't come. All said I "could not" put up a fence, one threatened to call her lawyer. I did my homework though, got a permit, and of the THREE different reasons I heard for why I could not, only one had any shred of truth. The most amusing reason I was told I could not build was that the city, the same city that issued me a fence permit, would not let me build as our area was a "natural area" and fences weren't allowed because they'd "restrict the deer"... I contacted a lawyer who confirmed my homework on our ability to build a fence. I never heard back from any of the other neighbors. And yes, all of them just said I couldn't have a fence, nobody listed any concerns such as looks or property values, they all just said we could not build one. Anyway, I'm glad nothing else came of that, and hopefully your neighbors are better in the future.

Ironically I also use an electric mower, but I don't mow to the roots and don't use it for "no emissions". I use it because it's delightfully quiet, vibration free, and one less small engine to maintain. But the technology isn't there for a lawn care business yet.
Wow, where I live it is a safety requirement to have a fence when one has a pool (in ground or above). We have whitetails and they clear 4 and 6 foot fencing easily. It’s nice when jerky neighbors don’t talk to us.

Оmg, ahahha, your story like in some comedy film. I believe that you should try to fund a compromise with them

Back